loisellei vs salvini

A

Anonymous

yeah, there fine now. They just had to work out pecking order.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
fish_n_vw , was cool to meet you and check out your tanks. Very nice collection you have going on. Funny how those two were getting along just fine now.

Keep me in mind about the Pearsei still!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
You didnt get it? (the Pearsei)
No, little hole in the head issue going on with them. fish_n_vw felt so bad having me come out and he was not sure what the issue was, has never dealt with it before. We are keeping in touch, will see how it turns out. The fish was perfect size for my tank and the Midas would not have even felt threatened because it wasnt too big. So I will wait just a little bit, unless something comes up sooner. (Like a medium zonatus or bifa, that a certain someone has :whistle: )

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
Hey I know where you can find 2 Fenestratus for a little coin. :D
Just what I need, something to kill off my new Argentea.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, again I am really sorry about that. I have been reading all day. How embaresing, I pride myself on keeping and raising top quality fish. I'm very dissapointed in myself for not noticing. I still have no idea what the cause is. I feed a balanced diet, change my water at 50 percent every week...... I don't know, I have never had an issue before. I'm just upping the w/c's to 2 times a week at 40% and going to try and add even more variaty to there diet. I already do 2 kinds of pellets, peas, spinich, and romain along with occasional frozen brine or blood worms.... everything that I have been doing for around 12 years of being serious in the hobby.... don't know, I'm at a loss. I hope it goes away, I really want my bjg male to continue to be as beautifull as he is. Again I'm sorry, embaressed and ashamed.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, nothing to be ashamed about. There are so many theories on what can cause the issue, with no real answers. Genetics may also come into play, because I did not see the issue with any other fish except the Pearsei and even then the smaller ones did not seem to have any issues, just the two largest. All your other fish were completely healthy.

I have not had to deal with hole in the head for years, but I wonder if using a UV sterilizer in the system would help. On delicate fish like EBJD Ive heard you should use it on the fry to help ensure a higher survival rate. I run a 9 watt (AquaMedic) on my 120g and an 18 watt (TurboTwist) on my 210g. Not sure if it will help but it cant hurt.

A

Anonymous

Everything I have read has said diet, poor water quality, possibly carbon, possibly electrical current in the tank. I know my water qualitiy is top notch, I feed way more varaity then most (I should really feed nls as well) and I checked for electrical curency last night. So I am taking the carbon out of the filter today. And modifying my water change schedule to be 40% every 3 days.

Thanks btw, you just know how us fish nerds are about our fish. All my other fish are so healthy in all my tanks. But to have another fish guy come and see your stock, then point out something you dident notice, its a bit embarecing. I'm sure you can understand this.

I lightened up the bio load by removing that salvini, and that problem pearsei. Did a 25% w/c (even though I just did one 2 days prior). And broke down the tank and rearanged to give everything the chance to establish new territories. Hopefully that will take some of the "issue" away. I'm also hoping that by doing more freaquent w/c's I will be able to clear this up. So even if the pearsei dosent go to you, when it all clears up I will sell it to someone or trade it to a shop. Just because my plan has always been to have 1 or 2 pearsei in this tank.

Either way I'm very happy you were able to come and enjoy my aquariums with me. And when your tank get established would love to come and see yours.

Madness

Staff member
Getting rid of the carbon, good idea. I dont use carbon anymore. ? on your water changes. Do you use straight cold water from the outside faucet? Or do you use the inside faucet with a little warm water?

A

Anonymous

Inside faucet, temp useually within a degree of tank temp, I don't bust out the thermometer but get close to touch. I took the carbon out, I really hope this goes away. I have been reeding nonstop since dmd left my house. Its actually making my wife mad. But I will figure out what it is and correct the sittuation.

Madness

Staff member
OK, I would almost guarantee thats your problem. I was having issues last year with fish getting sick. But only a select few. I had my water company come out with their testing equipment and test the water. Straight from the outside faucet, the water was decent. From the sink faucet all the way cold, it was coming up with some metals in it. On warm, OMG :affraid: I could not believe the metal readings. Lead, copper, zinc, you name it, it was in there. So we tested that water after the addition of Prime. The readings were still crazy high. We then added Rid Metals to it. That worked well, but the readings were still to high for me to be comfortable. Then we tested warm water after treating with Prime and Rid Metals and letting it sit for 24 hours. Water was perfect. So, long story short. If you want to do water changes with 5 gallon buckets after treating and sitting, use warm water. Otherwise, use water straight from the outside faucet if possible. If not, straight cold water. The fish actually dont mind the mild drop in temp, it kinda simulates the rains.

Since this, I have had no issues.

A

Anonymous

Will try it, I use straight cold water to trigger spawning. It never hurt before..... man I. Wouldent have even thought of that.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have been thinking about adding a whole house filter to the incoming line in my house. Anyone try these?

VsKitchen

Where I'm originally from the whole house water filter systems were popular. Not particularly due to aquariums or poor water quality. But more due to so many with exceptionally tasty water - and then you go back to your house. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking mostly for particles and helping with heavy metals. We have a filter on the fridge when we get drinking water.