Lily

ledieudufromage

Ok, so I'm thinking of getting a lily pipe set, or making something similar, does anyone know about hose sizes? I'm curious what the standards are.

icer711

if its that glass defuser thing there sold at the wetspot in Portland and i think i have seen them at a lfs in Seattle i don't remember which one though and i think the size is 3/8" or 1/2" but really think its 1/2"

ledieudufromage

icer711 said:
if its that glass defuser thing there sold at the wetspot in Portland and i think i have seen them at a lfs in Seattle i don't remember which one though and i think the size is 3/8" or 1/2" but really think its 1/2"
Oh, I meant the lily inflow outflow external canister filter pipes.

icer711

you got a pict? i think there the same thing is hooks to the outlet of a canister and increases the flow with minimal water disruption? kinda looks like a flower?

GoodnNuff

Both 5/8 and 1/2 are standard sizes on canister filters.
My Odyssey Canister has 5/8 intake and 1/2 output hoses. My UV filter has 5/8 on both intake and output, which made it a challenge to fit inline with my filter's 1/2 hose.

Well a challenge for me anyway.

icer711

you guys should get the converter barbs and that way you can increase or decrease the size of tubing you need ... if i remember right 5/8 and 1/2 are standard garden hose size and they have reducers/patch parts in barb form for them
the box store has them but the local little guys have poly barbs i know the ace by has them or you can even get threaded ones if you need

icer711

yep that was exactly what i though it was... one hint is get the tubing that's a little snug then put a cup of water in the micro nuke it then dunk the hose in it for 20-30 seconds then it is easy to work with and will shrink to the right snug size fit

GoodnNuff

Some guy on the plantedtank.net forum was making lily style pipes out of clear polycarbonate.
You could beat them aqainst the counter and they wouldn't break.

Knowing my luck I'd break the glass ones that I'd just paid $80 for the first time I'd tried to clean them.

icer711

wow there were only like 35-45 at the wetspot last time i looked that polycarbonate will break down over time but it will be a while before that happens