Lets talk heaters....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Quick review of the Catalina heater. I am not sure the suction cups will last, they seem cheap. The cap comes off on the end and looks like its sealed with epoxy. I do like the controller and the dial in temp is pretty cool. One issue however is that the dial is very easy to turn, in a way that might be easy to accidentally bump it. Wish it had notches to hold it in place. Not sure on its longevity but I like its set up so far.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The Catalina held temp all night, looks to be working well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was looking at Eheim heaters and noticed they are advertising a line called “Thermocontrol”. These are supposed to be German made and have some updated features.
F79438DE-1346-4953-ADFC-4F80B2BA9238.png
Any one try these yet?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Was looking at Eheim heaters and noticed they are advertising a line called “Thermocontrol”. These are supposed to be German made and have some updated features.
View attachment 5476
Any one try these yet?

They look just like the traditional (German-made) Eheim heaters, and from what is posted online it seems that the main difference is 'laboratory grade glass coating that increases heating surface.' That said, I have been using Eheim heaters in all my tanks for many years, and they have performed flawlessly. Not many aquarium heaters can make such a claim.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They say the new heaters are “electronically controlled” and more accurate. Cant find much more info

sir_keith

Legendary Member
They say the new heaters are “electronically controlled” and more accurate. Cant find much more info

Not sure which way I'd go here, as you can still buy the traditional version on Amazon. It may well be that the new ones are even better; that said, the older version has a proven track record.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have used the Eheim in the past and the only issues I had with them are the size of the units being larger than other brands with same wattage and the suction cups holding the heaters are mediocre. The heater itself was good just wondering where the real difference is in this 'new' line. Looking at the instruction sheet online it seems that the top dial control may have been changed a little for an easier to read display but again just a wonder as to what they did (if anything) internally. Right now I have heaters to spare, lol. So no real need but I like to keep options open and spare equipment on hand.

FishBeast

They sure look fancy schmancy. Is there a big price difference? Eheim is the only heater brand that has never failed for me. I'd include Aqueon because of their pro line but I can't as their regular heaters can be iffy.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They sure look fancy schmancy. Is there a big price difference? Eheim is the only heater brand that has never failed for me. I'd include Aqueon because of their pro line but I can't as their regular heaters can be iffy.
Right now they are a little bit more pricey. Seems to have got the black overhaul and went away from the blue/red trim parts. A new coating? And still would like to know any internal changes, lol. Im just going to have to buy one and test it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was seriously going to buy one of the new Eheim but then I looked at my “extra” stuff and found I had 1 new 300 watt Aqueon Pro in the box and 2 new 300 watt Fluval e series.... lol. So much for needing another heater.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well after a good 4 year run I felt it was time to replace one of my Sera heaters in the 300. The plastic guard/holder started to deteriorate and became brittle. The heater itself was working well but it had moisture inside. The other Sera heater is still running but it too will need to be replaced. In the meantime I have a Fluval E series 300 watt going and it just doesn’t seem to keep up. It is too smart for its own good. I just bought some heater guards on Amazon and will be testing on an Eheim. If its a good fit, I will probably do two of the newer Eheim electronic heaters in the 300. I have been using a 250 watt in the 75 gallon growout and like it a lot.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...It is too smart for its own good...

LOL. Lots of modern electronically controlled things seem to be like that. I had a new Acura loaner car recently while one of my cars was in for service; it was very nice except for the fact that the computer controlled 8-speed automatic transmission drove me to distraction: the thing was constantly searching around for another gear, and never seemed to be happy where it was. I guess I'm sounding like a dinosaur here... :sick

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive always liked the Fluvel heaters in general but the E series had the cage that really gave it problems heating a tank due to circulation not happening correctly. I did order one of the new 300 watt from Kens for $39.59 to try. Going to slowly replace the horrible Aquarium Masters heaters

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Ive always liked the Fluvel heaters in general but the E series had the cage that really gave it problems heating a tank due to circulation not happening correctly. I did order one of the new 300 watt from Kens for $39.59 to try. Going to slowly replace the horrible Aquarium Masters heaters
What’s wrong with the aquarium master heaters? I’ve had one for about a year with zero issues. I’d love to know what’s in my future witth then

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
What’s wrong with the aquarium master heaters? I’ve had one for about a year with zero issues. I’d love to know what’s in my future witth then
So far I have one that the read out is unreadable and two others where they are starting to go out. Approximately a year of use. I bought at least 5 of these and had to throw the one out already. I tried to contact Aquarium Masters via email and never got a response. I loved the concept but not worth it for a year of life.

I recently tried one of these
D840FD0C-BE13-4864-8CBE-1598A3592A4B.jpeg
Love the readout, hate the orange, lol. Inline controls and priced well at less than $40 on Amazon

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Decided to order more of the Finnex heaters I use on my 300 gallon for the rest of the garage tanks.
finnex-hmx.jpg
While I did have an issue with another Finnex heater these have been awesome on my 300 so I will have them on 4 of the garage tanks. I will use the 500 watt models on the 90 gallon tanks and the 300 watt on the 65B's.

Sadly these have been discontinued from what Ive seem so this will likely be it on these for me. If the standard for about a 2 1/2 year life span hold true then I will need to find something again at that point. They really dont make heaters the way they used to. Even the tried and true Eheims are not the same anymore. Maybe I should switch to a controller and separate heater? For now these will serve me well.