latest and last fish tank

L190

I spent today moving a 450 gallon fish tank from a guys house to mine. It took4 hours with 5 large people and lots of equipment to get it done. It also took 2 trips with the u haul I rented because I forgot to factor in the wheel wells when I did the math.
It'll take me a while to set this monster up because I need to buy the proper bulk heads for it, modify the sump to a fluid bed filter,figure out how to "automate" water changes and insulate the tank for the winter (tank is in a unheated garage)
So far, the fish I am going to put in it are 2 reticulated stingray and a black arowana. What other fish do you guys recommend I put in there?
Also what size of a heater (watts) do you guys recommend for this tank? again I'll have it in a unheated garage

Attachments

• rsz_img_20150606_184836.jpg
    rsz_img_20150606_184836.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 146

ziggyzoo

And all the knife fish especially black ghost knife I have had a couple before that were a foot long and they are always everyone's favorite. And the African lung fish is amazing too haha I love big fish!!

Nick_87

My question is where do you guys find these large tanks (240 gallon+). I never see anything on craigslist and will be looking for something similar once I buy my new house soon. Also may ask what you got it for. Pm me if you like. I plan on setting up a tank and try to breed some Hystrix rays when I get a chance.

L190

Ziggyzoo: i just saw a knife fish I want to put it, it is the zebra knife fish. I just have to do more research on them. Still looking for other fish to put in.
Nick: I actually found this on cl a while back, I just didn't have enough time and people to move it till yesterday.

aaronfeeney

I think you need to look into industrial water heating elements, and controller/ thermostat. you can get much higher wattages and if you use 240v elements they can be more efficient than a bunch oh aquarium heaters.

L190

96" x 36". I'll pass on that red tail cat. I received one with my 180 gallon tank and that thing was a monster. They can outgrow this tank, I believe it was on river monsters once

ziggyzoo

L190 said:
Ziggyzoo: i just saw a knife fish I want to put it, it is the zebra knife fish. I just have to do more research on them. Still looking for other fish to put in.
Nick: I actually found this on cl a while back, I just didn't have enough time and people to move it till yesterday.

Wow zebra knifes are so beautiful!! I haven't seen that one before, I just looked it up!

L190

The tank is finally ready. I added in about 200 pounds of lapis luster sand, modified the sump to handle k1 in the center component, and built my returns from pvc pieces. I was going to buy the loc lines for the returns but found out quickly they are expensive.
Since the tank is fully cycled, I ordered some fish online and they came today. So far the inhabitants of the tank are one L33 pleco, one L66 king scribble pleco, one L235 flat flyer pleco, two longfin albino bristlenose pleco, and one black arowana.

rsz_img_20150723_102453.jpg rsz_img_20150723_102333.jpg rsz_img_20150723_102128.jpg rsz_img_20150723_100908.jpg

L190

rays are doing fine, eventually I will move the rays to this tank. how is yours doing?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
lol, saw the title and laughed a bit. The 'last fish tank' made me chuckle because that is what I thought with my 210g, and then things just worked out for me to go to a 300g. Just wait, you will find an even bigger tank now!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
L190 said:
hahahaha dmd123, that is what my wife said.

My wife said the 210g was the last... until we decided to move into her grandma's old house. I said okay but I get a bigger tank. So we are in the middle of a remodel and my 96 x24 x 30 tank and stand have been ordered and a spot was created for it in the new living room layout. :D