larger aquariums + earthquakes in Washington

anthony

Washington was hit buy a 4.0 quake today. I have been curious as to how a 75/100/125 gallon sized glass tank would hold up to a 6.0 quake. I saw a simulation on youtube . They used 2 55 gallon tanks but they had these really phony stands that were made of tall 2x4s where they looked like fish tanks on stilts . Just curious of how you guys think glass fish tanks on standard factory stands would hold out in a 6.0. Or if anyone has lived through it I would love to hear what happened!

bassetman

My tanks survived a six plus in southern Idaho in the 80's. Slopped a bunch of water but all were still on the stands.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thats why I beefed up my 210g stand, including adding a trim to keep it on the stand. My other tanks I worry about a little bit more...

hbluehunter

I over build all my stands on my tanks, not saying that will make a bit of difference if the BIG ONE hits, but i hope it does.. :)
I had a contractor friend of mine ask if i was planning on parking my truck on my stand..lol Ok, maybe i went a tad overboard on the over build when i build my first one.. :)

anthony

If the whole house is gonna fall down maybe you should indulge in all the fish tanks you've ever dreamed of. Water damage is the least of your problems .

KaraWolf

and that is part of the reason I keep saying (and forgetting to look into) us adding quake insurance to our insurance bill and water damage too.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The majority of weight of my 210 gallon ends up resting parallel on one 2x10 floor joist. I went under my house and sistered beams, glued, screwed and tied in together to help support the weight. I did not want to have any structural damage in the event of a quake. I also did my stand with a complete 3/4" plywood top and bottom to help spread weight evenly.

Madness

Staff member
Most insurance companies will pay for all damage done by the tank/tanks and will replace ALL damaged items (tanks, stands, filters .....) if damaged by a natural disaster.

They WILL NOT however replace the fish. :(

Madness

Staff member
As for my stands in my fish room, I completely overbuilt them and attached them to the walls. If we get an earthquake that causes them to topple over, than I am going to have more issues than just broken tanks. :affraid:

Madness

Staff member
KaraWolf said:
and that is part of the reason I keep saying (and forgetting to look into) us adding quake insurance to our insurance bill and water damage too.
This should be included in all insurance policies. What I found out is if you live in a quake zone, they make it extra. If you live in a flood zone, that make it extra. Same with hurricane or tornado areas, that ins is extra. Here, it all should be included and if not, I would be searching for a new carrier. :)

shipclnr

Wouldn't the tank tipping over be more danger than the stand failure? How can you secure the tank? Most stands are designed to hold the tank up with the weight on the top holding it in place, not from swaying.