WTB Large driftwood & plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have that same piece of fake wood stored under one of my tanks currently.

I unfortunately don’t have any manzanita but I’ll keep my eyes open for them

FishBeast

What size are you looking for? I bought a 5 foot piece on OfferUp from a guy in Olympia for $30. I can give you his number if you like.849C8979-6AB2-4711-BAF2-6F00E19C8A2C.jpeg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
What size are you looking for? I bought a 5 foot piece on OfferUp from a guy in Olympia for $30. I can give you his number if you like.View attachment 7555

Is this stuff just normal driftwood, like I would find whilst out in my boat, or washed up on the beach? If so, I can keep my eye out for nice-looking pieces. I don't have wood in any of my tanks because it is contrary to where I want to be in terms of water chemistry, :sick

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, most of the wood we find floating around here could be coniferous.
Yes, of course; I hadn't thought of that. But if you found a piece that looked like the one in the pic, is there a way to tell whether it's coniferous or not?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Not that I know of, but hard wood tends to sink, and soft wood (conifers) tends to float.

One way to tell would be to cut away or sand a small section of it and see what color it is and to check if it has a cedar or a pine scent . From what I can see in this picture it looks like cedar .

Modest_Man

I have used river drift wood for well over a decade and have never had any issues. I've got wood right now that I pulled out of the Wynoochee reservoir. All the talk of conifers poisoning the water - it's amazing we have any fish in our local lakes and streams.

It looks like the article linked above was written by someone in Poland and is specific to species of tress found there. He mentions near the bottom that coniferous firs don't contain resin but doesn't mention any actual species. Most of what I find and use is from Douglas Fir (which isn't even a true fir). I have also used Alder and maple.

My only caveat being that the wood I use has been submerged for years and already sinks - I would not use fresh cut wood.

The photo above looks to be a softer wood, and I would expect it to take a very long time to sink.

FishBeast

I have used river drift wood for well over a decade and have never had any issues. I've got wood right now that I pulled out of the Wynoochee reservoir. All the talk of conifers poisoning the water - it's amazing we have any fish in our local lakes and streams.

It looks like the article linked above was written by someone in Poland and is specific to species of tress found there. He mentions near the bottom that coniferous firs don't contain resin but doesn't mention any actual species. Most of what I find and use is from Douglas Fir (which isn't even a true fir). I have also used Alder and maple.

My only caveat being that the wood I use has been submerged for years and already sinks - I would not use fresh cut wood.

The photo above looks to be a softer wood, and I would expect it to take a very long time to sink.
Interesting point! Thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.