Laetacara araguaiae

MRTom

That said, are water parameters similar for all laetacara? This thread got me reading up on SF about them. They seem more interesting than rams or apistos to me.

dwarfpike

MRTom said:
dwarfpike said:
and most painfully ... 10 true zebra plecos.  :swear:
I would never recover from this. That must have been a fortune.
Well, this was before Brazil shut down their exports to just a few commerical exporters. So it wasn't the expense it would be now a days, and they were F1's. But still a good chunk of change.

MRTom said:
That said, are water parameters similar for all laetacara? This thread got me reading up on SF about them. They seem more interesting than rams or apistos to me.
Acaras tend to be fairly adaptable, but most of them come from similar water types. L. dorsigera comes from slightly harder water than the rest, which is why you see it sold as 'curviceps' instead of the real deal. L. dorsigera can breed in the hard water Florida fish farms.

Mine come from clearwater rivers/steams, but most are blackwater species. But they don't have the need for the super low pH or hardness.

Livebearer

Thank dwarfpike,
I was wondering about P.H./hardness as well. I'm on well water more suited for Mawali's, but it's very soft at 6 dgh and p.h. can be adjusted downward. I keep 2 maroni's (keyholes) that do very well in this water. I still want some L. A's and looked up the L. C's and like them too but your variety is to die for....

dwarfpike

Yeah, I think the L. araguaiae are the best looking of the bunch, followed by the L. curviceps, but I'm more partial to blues than I am to the reds of L. dorsigera and L. thayeri or the yellows of L. flavilabris and L. fulvipinnis.

I still want to keep some real L. curviceps at some point!

Livebearer

Anyone interested in a group buy for these cool little rare dwarf cichlids?
Let me know via P.M. and I'll sort costs with you.
I have a line on some 2+ inch juvinals RIGHT NOW!

Chiisai

Livebearer said:
Anyone interested in a group buy for these cool little rare dwarf cichlids?
Let me know via P.M. and I'll sort costs with you.
I have a line on some 2+ inch juvinals RIGHT NOW!
What size tanks to these need and do they need to be in large groups? I have a 30gal and a 40 gal open atm and If they would be good in them... I am interested. Let me know the price and when it would happen.

dwarfpike

36" length for a pair, they stay small but the male can be rough on the female in a smaller tank when he's ready to breed and she's not. My 20 long is side to side mopani and a lot of plants and there is still quite a bit of chasing. I want to move them to a 30 breeder or 33 long sometime soon.

The pair did take out the other four when they first formed, as I was house sitting at the time so couldn't pull them before damage.

Livebearer

Due to the number of requests for this fish the offer has ended.
Thanks to all who put in the info and shared their experiences on this thread here! :D 
Livebearer

Chiisai

Cant wait for mine... got a 60gal setup with some plants growing for a bout a week now... hoping they will grow a bit faster so my smiley's will have places to hide!