Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Labs) / Spawning

VElderton

It’s always amazed me with the various Mbuna and other African Cichlid species I have spawned over the decades how seldom I am there to witness the event. Friday morning a pair of Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Labs) honoured me with a full show … what a privilege, a little thank-you from some fish friends!

VIMEO Video Link: Mbuna Spawning

PS: In the commentary I mention 45 seconds … it’s actually 90 seconds.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Nice! It's always good to see Yellow Labs mating with conspecifics, as the females of this line-bred strain are so promiscuous that they will mate with just about any sufficiently aggressive Mbuna male. Are you going to raise the fry? I had a 100g Yellow Lab species tanks years ago; it was my last Malawi tank before I went to Tanganyikans exclusively.

Regarding being 'caught in the act,' I've observed that the vast majority of spawning in my fishroom occurs in the evening, when only the blue actinic lights are on in all my tanks. Makes for a pleasant hour or so of fish-watching at the end of the day, nightcap in hand.

Last edited:

Betty

Staff member
Nice video. I used to see spawning after a large water change, but usually behind rocks or at the back of the tank so it was hard to get any video or pictures. Sometimes they would start before I even had the tank fully refilled!