L104 P. Maccus clown pleco

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Im going to try keeping a diary of sorts on these guys. I have had them for 3mo I think. I posted pictures on planet catfish and a fellow on there who has bred them thinks I have 2 females and a male. Currently, the tank is at 84F so I am going try cold water for their water changes to see what happens.
First 2 Females, third male.
C5813315-8DBF-4C12-866D-D5A4970D4696.jpeg 76FB1FEF-0561-438F-A9AB-C35527CB5788.jpeg F20898FC-8153-48C7-93E7-0C15E8BEAEC2.jpeg

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
They are nice and fat! When do the colors become more pronounced?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The only other one I’ve ever seen in person had bright white going on ( though I believe it to be an adult) and was selling for $350 in a little fish store in bend oregon

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Do these little guys breed like the bristlenose or do they need different accommodations?

clownie

My input...... had these about 6-7 years ago. Wild caught, I had them spawn in caves like typical plecos. They did great at breeding for about 6 months , and then just stopped! I tried everything, cooler water changes, variety of food, nothing worked. i sold them about a year ago as i am focusing on L201"s. Good luck friend!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
My input...... had these about 6-7 years ago. Wild caught, I had them spawn in caves like typical plecos. They did great at breeding for about 6 months , and then just stopped! I tried everything, cooler water changes, variety of food, nothing worked. i sold them about a year ago as i am focusing on L201"s. Good luck friend!

Did you use rain or RODI or plain tap water with yours? Did they spawn with out special inducement during the 6mo frisky time?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Do these little guys breed like the bristlenose or do they need different accommodations?

From what I have read they need to go through a dry season with temps below 80F. Followed by rain or RODI water changes. These guys are a wood eater and spend more time chewing on the alder than anything else.

The only other one I’ve ever seen in person had bright white going on ( though I believe it to be an adult) and was selling for $350 in a little fish store in bend oregon

WOW, I paid 5-7$ each. Wet Spot has them for less than $10ea WC. I don’t know if these are WC or TR.

clownie

Did you use rain or RODI or plain tap water with yours? Did they spawn with out special inducement during the 6mo frisky time?
Regular de chlorinated tap water about 10 degrees cooler. Feeding Ken's 5 color sticks and frozen bloodworms. Small branch of alder in the tank. Spawned in caves about 3 weeks after I had them.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I picked up another one at AP the other day maybe 1.5in. I have been really busy with work and other projects so I haven’t tried getting them to spawn.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Those are cute looking plecos, cant wait to see if they breed for you.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
2 males and 2 females!

love it. Every time I’ve been over, I’ve never had the opportunity to see them in your tank ( they were hiding). I do appreciate you sharing these in this video!

side note: the three BN pleco fry you gave me have turned out to be 1 male ( the brown colored one) and 2 females ( the white ones... though I only ever seen 1 white one at a time)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
2 males and 2 females!

love it. Every time I’ve been over, I’ve never had the opportunity to see them in your tank ( they were hiding). I do appreciate you sharing these in this video!

side note: the three BN pleco fry you gave me have turned out to be 1 male ( the brown colored one) and 2 females ( the white ones... though I only ever seen 1 white one at a time)

I rarely see them. That’s really cool you have a male and 2 females. He’s not going to get any rest from the ladies :rofl