Kribensis

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Well, I now have West Africa represented. Specifically, Cameroon and the Congo with the addition of a few Kribensis. The first 2 came from a co-worker transitioning to salt. I then picked up a couple more from Sierra Pets a couple weeks ago. Currently have them in the planted 55g.
PXL_20210429_035406040~2.jpgPXL_20210429_035447027.jpgPXL_20210429_035406040.jpgPXL_20210429_035352637.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
These are great fishes. I first saw them in a public aquarium when I was a boy, and made a few sketches which my Dad and I brought to our LFS for an ID. Back then they were known as Pelmatochromis kribensis, but they were subsequently re-described as Pelvicachromis pulcher, or sometimes, Pelvicachromis taeniatus. 'Kribensis' is now just an aquarium trade name that is applied to pretty much any species in the genus Pelvicachromis. Makes for more than a bit of confusion... :oops:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I did not know kribs were hole diggers. Thankfully, there is fiberglass window screen between the gravel and the dirt.PXL_20210527_005918459.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I did not know kribs were hole diggers. Thankfully, there is fiberglass window screen between the gravel and the dirt.View attachment 8972
They aren't, usually. She's looking for a 'proper' cave, which is to say, one that is small, enclosed, and dark. Flower pots don't work well with these fishes, especially open-ended ones. Think of a space that is cozy and private; that will be more to her liking. :thumbsup

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Nice pics! Isn't this just so cool to see how the female turns completely upside down to lay her eggs on the roof of the 'cave.' Fishes like Julidochromis do that too, but they are completely oblivious to gravity anyway, and have no concept of 'up' vs. 'down' in their daily lives. Pelvicachromis are not like that, except when spawning. :thumbsup

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Nice pics! Isn't this just so cool to see how the female turns completely upside down to lay her eggs on the roof of the 'cave.' Fishes like Julidochromis do that too, but they are completely oblivious to gravity anyway, and have no concept of 'up' vs. 'down' in their daily lives. Pelvicachromis are not like that, except when spawning. :thumbsup
I was surprised to catch the acrobatic act.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Somebody ate the eggs
It happens. The two biggest factors that lead to this unfortunate behaviour seem to be- (1) An inexperienced breeding pair. It often takes them a couple of tries to get it right. Pretty much all cichlids are like this. (2) An insecure breeding site. If the parents feel they can't defend the clutch, they may abort the attempt. Pelvicachromis need a site that is more secluded to feel secure; Nanochromis even more so. Of course, I'm ignoring trivial problems such as 'The catfish ate the eggs,' etc. :eek:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
That's awesome -- hope they survive this time!
Thanks, me too. The assassin snails were circling. I'm not sure if they are egg eaters or not but I will be watching for free swimmers for sure. I may even steal the pot and put it into the HOB fry box.