Just sharing to make DMD jealous... haha

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
0294DF15-B705-4402-93CF-11E96C5D1F40.jpeg DE853F65-CE9F-4D27-A8AC-2DF4B36BE734.jpeg Actually, in all seriousness, I’d like to share my male midas ( pure from the same source as dmd).
He is currently living my bedroom 75g and i would say he is roughly 6.5” total length now.

here are some quick pics I just shot right now.....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, that is amazing! I always seem to get humpless amphilophus.... until my recent Petsmart devil. The big male midas in the 300 barely even has a bump
I’ve never had one grow such a large nuchal hump before.... and I’d like to believe that it has everything to do with genetics and nothing to do with me. Haha

he has no female to impress and only lives with a large reed fish and a medium polypterus

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve never had one grow such a large nuchal hump before.... and I’d like to believe that it has everything to do with genetics and nothing to do with me. Haha

he has no female to impress and only lives with a large reed fish and a medium polypterus
I know they say genetics are a huge part but it seems that other variables are involved...
Hormones from fish ready to breed area factor for sure. My fish that were ready to breed both got nice humps, this includes the female. Not as large as the male but it did come in. I swear I saw a little growth in the other male midas at the time too.

I know the food thing is debatable but it does seem that the high protein flowerhorn foods do seem to promote hump growth. Though the high protein diet makes for unhealthy fish long term.

This made me think about the Flowerhorn “grooming” where they put a mirror up to the tank to encourage hump growth.

Last edited: