Just jumped into the Rock dweller tank

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I picked up anthraxx awesome colony of rock dwellers( I hope he chimes in to share what they are called) I love how they dart around the rocks in my 20g long. Yesterday, I also found three different groups of eggs sticking to the glass. I am new to rock/ she'll dwelling fish so I'm not sure if this is typical behavior for them. I will upload some pics tonight or tomorrow of their tank and them

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Cool! School tank or your own? Not to go off topic but what did you take to school this year?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still working on pics, I took them but didn't get them uploaded because of our "date night" last night. I plan to separate the colony once any aggression shows up (breeding and all) with the extras going to my desk at work.

Currently in my 60ish gallon tank at work. A 8" midas and a 6" grammode however, neither is really personable at this point so I may switch some fish around.

My ultimate goal is for a big personable cichlid in my bigger tank and a few of these little rock dwellers in one of those cool little all in one tanks.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I also bought what I would consider a calico bristled nose Pleco and put it in my rock dweller tank

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Still trying to figure out pictures on the new site. These are from my phone. My camera pics are uploading as we speak

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
A

Anonymous

lloyd378 said:
I picked up anthraxx awesome colony of rock dwellers( I hope he chimes in to share what they are called). I love how they dart around the rocks in my 20g long. Yesterday, I also found three different groups of eggs sticking to the glass. I am new to rock/ she'll dwelling fish so I'm not sure if this is typical behavior for them. I will upload some pics tonight or tomorrow of their tank and them

Very nice lloyd378!! These maybe Anthraxx's julidichromis transcriptus "bemba"

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_3128_zps4b0e5921.jpg
[/url][/img]

IMG_3130_zpsf5da66bd.jpg

IMG_3137_zps782310af.jpg

IMG_3138_zps46acde9c.jpg
[/url][/img]

[img ][/img]

not sure why they didn't all show up on the preview. here's hoping that they all show up once i click submit

B

big01612

On 1st picture. Is that a emerald cory (Brochis splenden)?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I think so. I picked up a whole school of them two years ago for a guy on the box and he never came to get them. They have always been in that tank...... They have also lived with Australian rainbows, umbee growouts, dragon puffers ( though they ate three of them) and now with these guys ( I will be moving the Africans in the near future) I figured the Cory's will be ok for the time being as the substrate is a mix of aquairum sand and aragonite

Paintguy

I have had the Bembas before. Really cool personality fish, but beware when they become of breeding age....it is a full contact cage match. I had 9... then down to 3-4 in a matter of 2 weeks. Hard to tell which is the pair when they are so fast and look the same.

Anthraxx

yeah they are a false bemba, couldnt find much info but they are definitely a marlerli (spelling) julidichromis species. great little rock dweller, definitely surprised they bred like that for you.. must have been just waiting for a WC lol. like i said to you lloyd just try and make notes of stripe patterns that are unique to each fish. its difficult but possible, theyre like zebras each one is slightly unique :p. saw the pics originally and meant to post but just spaced :p glad to see theyre settling in nicely, gl with all those pairs :p sounds like for once i got a good match rofl. go figure its not the species i intended to get right? aint life funny sometimes. keep up the pics id love to see how they develop for you.

Betty

Staff member
Congrats on the new Africans. I've had my J. Marlieri for many years and they breed regularly. They are very protective parents and guard and care for their eggs in caves or tight cracks in rock piles. If you have eggs attached to the glass, they must be another species'. Cories maybe?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Quick update: my rock dweller tank is still rockin except for a bit more excitement as somehow my brichardi (that I was promised were both males ) have free swimming fry. They remind me of convicts with their protectiveness..... I'll upload a phone picture or two in a few

And to think that I thought I was done with breeding fish ( I recently separated all of my central and south American cichlid males and females apart with the intent to sell off the females and to decrease aggression)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
You will notice a double pic... Sorry, it's hard to upload correctly from my phone. Also, I have the other five rock dwellers that were hiding during pic time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Also the top picture is the one with the fry exempt my phone didn't pick them up correctly I'll bring my camera out and shoot some more soon