Just inherited a 30 gal. guess im into it

dedominick

Hey all, looking forward to learning from/ participating in this community, thank you!
I am new, so i cant post a pic of my tank from flickr yet :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
:welcome!: 

What are you planning to do with your tank?

Anthraxx

welcome! but be careful, small tanks like that have been known to asexually reproduce quite rapidly  :lmfao: 

dedominick

DMD123 said:

Well I received it from a person by UW who was moving the next day, it was 1/4 full with murky mixed up water, plants, fish and gravel. I strained out some water, then starting netting fish, pulling plants and rinsing substrate. After all was said and done I found 2 african frogs, 2 white shrimp, 2 orange swordtails (one male one female i believe) 3-4 orange mollies, a red tailed black shark, 2 gourami, 5 skirt tetra (i think). it came with an HOB (leaning the lingo :) and a heater as well. I think the shark and the gourami may need to go, but we shall see.

ANYWAY, I went to aquarium co-op and got some valisnera and a chunk of manzanita and things are going well so far!

LuminousAphid

Cool, I'm sure you will enjoy fishkeeping even though you were sort of thrown into it. A lot of people on here are pretty much hardcore hobbyists, but even if you don't plan on that, there is plenty of fun to be had keeping just a tank or two. I, for example, only have tanks up to 20 gallons and nothing super fancy but I am still able to have a lot of fun with it. I do HOB filters as well, which I think I get secretly laughed at over, but I like the simplicity and foolproof nature--for example, no fear of leaks in plumbing to and from an exterior filter, and no need for a place to put exterior filter.

I would offer to take the shark or gourami, but I am already overstocked as it is  :( 

anyway, welcome to the forum, hope we can help you as you get started. It does sound like you are on your way, as DMD stated.

A

Anonymous

WELCOME!!

Anthraxx said:
welcome! but be careful, small tanks like that have been known to asexually reproduce quite rapidly  :lmfao: 
LOL! For sure ;)

dedominick said:
DMD123 said:

Well I received it from a person by UW who was moving the next day, it was 1/4 full with murky mixed up water, plants, fish and gravel. I strained out some water, then starting netting fish, pulling plants and rinsing substrate. After all was said and done I found 2 african frogs, 2 white shrimp, 2 orange swordtails (one male one female i believe) 3-4 orange mollies, a red tailed black shark, 2 gourami, 5 skirt tetra (i think). it came with an HOB (leaning the lingo :) and a heater as well. I think the shark and the gourami may need to go, but we shall see.

ANYWAY, I went to aquarium co-op and got some valisnera and a chunk of manzanita and things are going well so far!
DMD123 said:
Sounds like your on the right track.
 :iagree:

Heeeeey! Welcome to fish box! I'm glad you were able to get into the fun hobby of fish keeping! Can't wait to see pictures of your tank (and future tanks!)

KaraWolf

MorganEA's right that's exactly what they mean :) :) and it is totally the season!
Welcome to the hobby :D and huzzah for even more fishkeepers of the area!

dedominick

KaraWolf said:
MorganEA's right that's exactly what they mean :) :) and it is totally the season!
Not the malayasian trumpet snail?

KaraWolf said:
I think it's setting in already ;) thrift is a necessity I am finding I am haunting CL these days.
I have a red tailed shark that I may need to trade/ pass along ( current inherited community [which it came with]may not work for it) would you be at all interested?

dedominick said:
KaraWolf said:
Not the malayasian trumpet snail?

KaraWolf said:
I think it's setting in already ;) thrift is a necessity I am finding I am haunting CL these days.
I have a red tailed shark that I may need to trade/ pass along  ( current inherited community [which it came with]may not work for it) would you be at all interested?
If you're looking to rehome the RTS I'd love to take him off of your hands. I'll even trade you some plants and such if you'd want. Just throwing that out there.

And yes, we're talking about the dreaded Multiple Tank Syndrome. Thankfully I've gotten myself under control and currently only have 6 tanks running right now  :tongue: 

KaraWolf

Ugh if I had the space for your RTS XD it would already be claimed!
currently TRYING to get MTS syndrome but all the projects are grindingly slow.
I love my red tailed shark and because of her particular temper she's done fine with a variety of tetra and she doesn't give a hoot about the ottos I used to have. How big is your's currently? and if it's laid back now, it'll be like that for a long while. Mines 5" and 4 years old and lazier then ever LOL