Just got a AquaClear 70

anderson_p_r

Ok, the tank is setup and the AC is running. Still very noisy in my opinion. I'm going to give it a few days to quiet down but I might have to find a different filter. It's not all that loud, but it's just a constant rattle, and yes it is quieter with the lid off, but it's not the lid rattling, obviously the motor.

cichlid-gal

Maybe clean the impeller or it could be a worn impeller. You have to take the filter off the tank, dump the water, twist off the motor, pull the impeller and clean it then replace it and retry. Just might do the trick. When you have the impeller pulled...look at it for wear. You can order a replacement pretty easy and some stores might even carry replacements.

A

Anonymous

You probably already checked this out but like mentioned above if the impeller blades are worn it could make excess noise. Or if there is a missing , old , or damaged bushing it'll start to rattle.
Maybe this may help?
http://www.wafishbox.com/t9152-fixing-a-loose-noisy-impeller-shaft?highlight=Impeller

A

Anonymous

I picked up a neat little canister filter that's super quiet. Finnex PX-360, quietist filter I've ever had. It barely makes a humming noise and being inside a closed stand can not hear it at all.

anderson_p_r

Quieter now that it's been running a bit, but still louder than just the sound of the water moving through the filter. Still a distracting rattle. I've emailed Hagen and we'll see what they say.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Its the design of the filter that causes the issues. It has no support for the top of the impeller shaft. In the long run it does not seem to cause any problems but yes it is loud. My AC110 will act up and make noise at times. A good cleaning seems to make it worse. After a day or so it gets quieter but still makes noise. This was one of the reasons I recently posted a AC110 vs Aqueon 55/75 post. I am looking at cheaper alternatives that might offer a better value and are quiet and dependable. But nothing out there in a HOB is this large...

anderson_p_r

I feel like I could fix the lack of upper impeller shaft support with a 3d printer. After market filter parts...hmm....could be a fun side business :)

anderson_p_r

Still annoying. I contacted Hagen and they advised cleaning everything and lightly coating the impeller shaft in veg. oil. No improvement. I attempted Teflon tape between magnet and impeller to reduce play and Vaseline on shaft, minor improvement. I'm getting the feeling that these things are just loud and that's the way it is. I feel like a snob complaining so much. It's not like it's clanging and rattling, but I'd say it's a a step up in volume from an air pump and lacks any rhythm. I think I need to either accept the noise, which I'd rather not do, or return this and sacrifice media capacity for quietness.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Typical Aqua Clear noise. I never see any wear on the plastic motor housing but over time you will see a bit of impeller egg out from the steel shaft. These things just keep running, just not quietly.

Gizmo

TBH, I'd suggest the opposite - IME, the filter runs more quietly when it's dirty, i.e. there's slime in the impeller housing.

anderson_p_r

Ok, Hagen sent me a replacement impeller which I have now installed with much joy. The filter now runs practially silent. I'll hold on to the original as a backup, but it's incredible to me that that is all that was wrong.

iandraco

glad you got it straightened out. i was confused when you said it was so loud because they are usually very quiet.......aside from the top rattling once in a while. that's an easy fix though. enjoy. they are great filters.