Just got a AquaClear 70

anderson_p_r

So I ordered a AC70 and was immediately surprised at the size of it. I had no idea it would be that big. This is fine an all, but wow.

I'm curious however, has anyone extended the intake tube before? I'm putting it on a 2' tall tank and feel like an extended intake tube would be a good idea, but maybe not. If it made sense to extend it, and if anyone else has already done so, how did/would you do it while keeping it looking OEM?

anderson_p_r

Ok, total novice with HOB, I just noticed the two intake tubes can be used in series to extend intake. That kinda works, but was hopping to go further than that, unless it won't make that much of a difference.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The AC filters are big. Ever seen the AC110? Its HUGE!

To extend the intakes you just use another one on it. I hated having the screen inside the tube so I had cut the screen part off on my extension.

zach_discus

AC hobs are the best!! I have 6 in my fishroom (3-70s and 3-110s). They are BIG. The intake extensions can be ordered and cost a couple bucks.

MorganEA

I got an AC 110 for Christmas and it wouldn't fit on my tank, it was huge!! As far as extending the intake I added another tube.

cichlid-gal

If you just use the tubes as they come...with the intake filter cones as part of them...the stacking them to make the intake longer will get you multiple filter cones and your intake can plug up more and slow flow. Cutting the filter cone off the tubes that are your "extentions" will help with this. I love my Aquaclears...they do a bang up filtration job.

hyp3rcrav3

Aquaclear is the best HOB filter made. I extend tubes all of the time. The water pressure is the same regardless of length because the height of the water in the tube when it isn't running will be the same as the water outside if you were to turn the filter off. I use the AC 70s on 30 and 40 gallon tanks and NEVER have ammonia issues. (I'm lazy you see.) I don't cut the tubes as it doesn't seem necessary, even in my planted tanks. I clean the tube when I change water even if I don't need to rinse the filter media. Only thing to watch out for is if you drain your tank you can get backflow of crud into the aquarium. leaving the filter on (full of course) or removing the tubes first will prevent this. They do get that water moving. One bizarre thing. I once bought an AC 110 for a 70 gallon tank and it wouldn't fit over the side whereas the AC 70 does. The AC 110 lip was too narrow. Go fig. I supplement that tank with a Fluval canister now.

anderson_p_r

I'll probably end up getting an extension tube, I still assume it's best to have intake as far as reasonably possible from output. I really wish I could have the clean look of just one long intake tube though. Any thoughts on a clean OEM looking DIY for that?

MRTom

You can buy some PVC hose/pipe and clip it to the tank. I saw home depot sells some nice elbows and joints for these sizes, so you could do some in tank piping to pull water from the other side of the tank.

hyp3rcrav3

There are clear tubes that will fit at the local hardware store. However, the water flow rate is so good it hardly seems necessary. The water from the top layer ends up on the bottom layer and gets pushed to either side just by shear momentum.

MRTom

That's a good point. An AC70 on a 2' tall tank should make a really nice circular flow. But I think that if the tank is long (like a 55gal), you will likely see very little flow on the opposite end of the tank. I compensated for this by adding a second filter, but you could compensate by piping water in from the other side.

anderson_p_r

So I tested the AC70, while also testing that this tank still holds water, and I noticed it's not the quietest filter I've ever used. Granted it not like the C-360's I had that were drawing in air, but I have an Aqueon HOB that is dead silent.

It seems like it's a common quiet rattle from the motor/impeller assembly. After looking at a few other forum on cures and causes sounds like "it is what it is." Also sounds like some and silent and some are loud out of the box, sounds like user perception.

Anyway, anyone have any tricks for guaranteeing silent operation and parts longevity on these things? I've tried lubricating the impeller shaft and ensuring it's level, no change. From my reading it seems like I just need to give it time to either settle in or get used to the white noise.

hyp3rcrav3

Sometimes air in the water will cause it to rattle until the bubbles dissolve. If it isn't level it could rattle. I have a couple that will buzz because the top plate cover vibrates loose. I just tap the top and it stops... for a while. Others are dead silent. I have had them for years before I had to buy a new motor and /or impeller.

KaraWolf

Mr Tom....that is a genious idea. I have a filter that CAME with my 55 and I'm always worried that the far end of the tank is never getting enough circulation. As well as I think the way the intake/output is set up my fish actually avoid the end of the tank it's on :( Does separating the two lessen the current much?

MorganEA

Anderson_p_r a couple things that I have noticed that can make the AC loud is if the intake isn't pushed all the way in where the motor draws the water in (does that make sense?) also do you have sand in your tank? Mine was really loud so I cleaned out the motor and there was some sand in it. Is the water level all the way up? I found that if the water level falls below where the intake connects to the hooked part then it starts to suck air. also if its not level then it will suck air, hope this helps :).

anderson_p_r

The tank was bare for testing, just water. Filter was mostly level, I didn't have an actual level where I was doing the testing. Tank was also full. I appreciate all the help. When it gets setup for real in a couple weeks I'll go back over this to make sure all bases are covered.

MRTom

Kara, about the filter flow, I never tried extending the intake on the AC 70, because I knew I wanted to maximize the flow (so two filters was a better option for me). When dropping medicine or small food, the flow pattern was pretty evident. I did try it on an AC50 on a 20 gal long tho. The net result was very little noticeable flow, even at full power. Think bernoulli, and the difference in pressure between the tubes and the full tank, and you can imagine how slowly the water moves from one side of the tank to the other. Except for the downward flow from the HOB, there is very little flow from the tank. If the water level is close to the HOB, the tank will look like it is at a standstill.

As for AC filter noise... there are three things I've run into. First, air bubbles in the siphon tube, they can sometimes take a while to purge, even at full flow. You can test for this by filling the tube with water in the tank, then putting it in the filter without loosing water (I know, acrobatics required), and then running the filter. This way you can see if the noise is coming from that. Second thing I've noticed is the lid not fitting securely. I had an AC10 that had a little stub of plastic that made the lid rattle a bit. It wasn't noticeable until you sit in the room with the tank for a while and then the low rumble makes you want to pull your hair out! :DThe third thing I found making noise was the impeller itself. I don't think there is a real need to lubricate it, but do make sure it is well seated and not touching the base of the impeller. I have had problems with all my AC20s and AC30s, where the impeller gets caught on the base after a few months of use and I have to get my finger in there to unjam it. If this happens, the impeller can make some extra noise. I'm sure there are other things that can make noise with these filters, but hopefully these give you some ideas on troubleshooting the noise!

Gizmo

Don't lower the intake too far to the bottom of the tank, especially in sand tanks, or you'll suck up particulates from the substrate and damage your impeller.

Also consider a sponge prefilter if you have small critters like shrimp, as they get sucked up quite often.

I have to prime my AC50 after every water change and purge the air after priming. To prime, I fill the media housing full of water, switch the flow limiter to fully limited, and turn on the filter. When it's pumping water, I switch the flow limiter to full flow and it purges the air out of the inlet tube. Otherwise, your impeller will cavitate a bunch and sound horrible.

To reduce the noise, you can remove the plastic top cover and rubber band some plastic wrap over the top in its place.

plaamoo

I have all the A. C. models and find the 70s are the loudest, don't know why. They do pump a lot of water. I often solve the rattling by simply unplugging/plugging a time or two. If it's rattling it's likely air bubbles and this often releases them. Sometimes it just takes more time to work them out but it should quiet eventually. Be sure that the removable flat piece that the intake sets on covering the impeller is firmly seated. I've neglected to do this a few times after cleaning and it caused noise. I also tape the tops on tight with blue painters tape. It's pretty easy on/off. They are not the most quiet filters but IMO are the best HOBs.

star_rider

sometimes it's the lid that rattles...how quiet is it with the lid off compared to with lid on.. my ac 70 does this and I find the lid isn't quite seated correctly(usually due to the intake tube not seated all the way down.)