JeTTeJ's 2016 Fishroom Update!!!

Betty

Staff member
Nice video. I hope you get the plecos to breed for you soon.

I brought the bamboo to the swap and have more, different diameters. This time of year they are pretty dried out and take a lot of soaking to get them to sink. I'll bring you some the next time we are at a meeting or swap. :)

jettej

Nice video. I hope you get the plecos to breed for you soon.

I brought the bamboo to the swap and have more, different diameters. This time of year they are pretty dried out and take a lot of soaking to get them to sink. I'll bring you some the next time we are at a meeting or swap. :)

Thank you! and yes the bamboo's diameter is perfect for these plecos. i would love to have some more and would repay you for some fish or maybe some fry for my future spawns from these cool plecos.

I usually boil them for 10-15 mins. It speeds up the process of getting the wood soak, kill some bacteria that might have grown in it also boiling will get some tannins out as well so i know it won't affect my ph too much. then i take them out of boiling water. rinse with cool water then let i float in the tank. eventually it will sink and will be ready to serve as a cave. most of the time they will grow "White Algae" in them which i never really found out what it was. my plecos eat them and all of them were fine.

Betty

Staff member
Yes, I get that white "algae" stuff too. It's always on the inside so I think it's like a membrane or some type of lining that is part of the bamboo. My plecos (and shrimp) like to eat it as well.