Jehmco Air Pumps

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi Vicmacki,

There was quite a discussion about Jehmco pumps, both linear and diaphram, on GSAS 'Airstone' a couple of times over the last several years. Several GSAS members with fish rooms own them. They always seem to get very good reviews, especially the linear models, both for output and noise levels. It is seems to be suggested to contact them and help them pick the best model for an application.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Just bought one of those pumps for my breeders. He loves it. I use the largest one in the shop. I actually use 2 now, with the expansion of the quarantine room and the koi ponds. I absolutely love them. Because they run quieter than the sound of the bubbles they produce.

Bob

Can you only get them from that website? Kind of strange they don't have a shopping cart.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if he's the only vendor, but he is the best vendor for it. Yeah the no shopping cart thing is annoying. But they are so nice and friendly on the phone. Also they ask questions like what size hose do you want to adapt to, So they can send you hose and adapter to go to 3/4 pvc or 1 inch etc.

clifford

Just bought lph45, should be here next week.

Any pro tips regarding fun ways to use them? I'm just going to be adapting to 3/4" PVC (running in a full circle around the room), and then dropping from needle valves (or gangs) to the individual tanks.

I'm going to to be running around 40 outlets (across about 30 tanks) and was curious what kinds of filters people with larger "room" sized pumps might be using. Anyone running mattenfilters?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I've used em all. I'd say use what you don't mind servicing. For me that tends to be sponge filters. I should probably upload the video I made on putting together my fish room air system. Just been lazy editing and thinking not many people would find it useful.

Bob

I have two of the lph45s. I use mostly your typical sponge filters, but i also have it powering a few hamburg matten filters and it works great. I made a 20 outlet manifold out of 1 inch pvc piping. I used http://www.jehmco.com/AV1D-700p-wm.jpg for my valves. Some of my lines are split into two and i have another one split into 6. I got two to have one as a backup, because if it fails i cant wait a week for shipping.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought the valves that are one step higher than those. To make a drip system. In theory I'll have time to build it tomorrow.

clifford

Corey, if you get around to posting the air video, I'd be interested in watching. I placed my order for the jehmco after watching the air video from Ted's Fishroom. I grabbed the pump, a few hundred feet of silicon airline (the vinyl stuff from my "tank junk storage box" (that has probably been sitting unused for 10 years) was a sticky, nasty, mess of melted chemicals...), and 40 AV1E's.

I definitely like the easy maintenance of sponge filters, although I like the idea of the added water movement of a matten filter for some of my use cases...do you sell any filter foam large enough for that application in the shop?

I tend to keep my stocking levels low...a decent number of my killi tanks have no filtration at all, so hopefully if I had to have the pump worked on or replaced, it wouldn't be a disaster. I'm looking forward to pulling out all these powerheads, air pumps, hob's and pump driven filters! One consistent, quiet, electrically efficient central system sounds great.

We just finished up a bathroom remodel-- then I just have to finish a little work on our front deck before the weekend, and then my wife and I are going to start making new custom shelving for a more unified and balanced layout of the tanks. Hopefully it will look a little less chaotic after the redesign...

clifford

Found time to test-install the Jehmco today.

The pump is quieter than my old dual-outlet whisper 600, and I currently have it pushing lines to 20 tanks.

The bubbles are LOUD. It sounds awesome, and my fish seem to love it (there is a lot of interaction with the bubbles right now)-- but I can hear bubbles with my headphones in. Hopefully this will calm down a bit when I get them all on filters (smaller bubbles = less sound, I hope).

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Yes the smaller the bubbles the lower the sound. I use the neverclog airstones in all my applications. Some people use the fine pore ones made of ceramic that can be cleaned with citric acid. I prefer the no maintenance of the never clog though.

clifford

Just discovered another interesting side effect of the bubbles-- a number of dead fish on the floor in the morning. I hadn't really considered that when I saw all the extra bubble frolicking.

I keep mostly killies and Peacock Gudgeons, and although killies have a rep for jumping, my experience is that it's Rivulus that do the most jumping. However, my powerhead driven filters must just not encourage the jumping behaviors quite like the bubbles do (which probably mimics falling water, indicating a place upstream to jump to?).

I found both Gudgeons and killies on the floor. Time to cover the rest of these tanks...

Bob

That's unfortunate, i have a killi that always jumps out on water changes. Not sure what his deal is but i always have to pick him off the floor.

clifford

I picked up 10 of the never-clog air stones at the Co-op tonight, and they've really helped with the bubble noise. Only two jumpers today, and I managed to save one. It really is amazing how well they can aim for even the tiniest of spots, even at the top of a 6-inch jump-- like the space next to an airline tube running under one corner of a plexiglass lid that didn't sit perfectly flush with the tank. I would not have thought that was even possible, until I saw a gudgeon take a shot for one right in front of me and miss. (thankfully)

I've realized that although I hate losing fish, I really do like watching them jump. When you catch them in the act, it's a part of their behavior I really only associate with outdoor (or maybe just large?) fish. I have a few decent sized Exo-terra terrariums, so I might have to convert a few into killie tanks with some elevated pools. I'm curious how high they would choose to climb?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Theres also things like the splash tetras that deposit their eggs on leaves out of water then splash water onto them to keep them wet. Would be neat to setup as well.

clifford

You know, I had totally forgotten about Copella arnoldi, but now that you've sparked my memory, I had e-mailed you back in June about the possibility of picking a group up from you after seeing some great footage of them in a nature documentary. You mentioned you had them in the shop at some point in the past I think.

If you do happen to turn any up, I'd love to try them out.