Jaws stuck!

CMooreCichlids

Hello all,

I have a Aequidens diadema whose jaws appear to be locked. It doesn't appear to be causing stress, but its been this way for a couple days.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this issue?

fishyladdy

i have found just leaving them be for a few days not trying to mess with them really is the only thing that helps it will come unlocked by its self

CMooreCichlids

Thank you for the advice, fishyladdy.

Its only been stuck since yesterday, and its not stopping the eating.

I was gonna try and net it, then massage it back into place but will wait a few days to see if it fixes itself.

dwarfpike

You can pop them back in, but it's a very tricky thing to do. Usually I wait a couple of days before trying it, sometimes it will settle back on it's own.

CMooreCichlids

Thanks, dwarfpike. I'm not one for delicate operations, so I really hope it fixes itself.

I've had nothing but trouble since I got these acara.

Madness

Staff member
Please define "jaw stuck".

Does your fish look like this?
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

CMooreCichlids

Sorry for not adding a pic, still haven't figured that part out.

Both upper and lower jaws are stuck protruding out. The fish is breathing normally, and eats without a problem.

Because they are so small, I would attribute it to fighting. But I've never heard of young fish getting duck lips, so I'm not sure if that's the problem.

Madness

Staff member
I have seen it in all fish. Dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like duck lips, and the outcome as you may know, is not good. A picture sure would help.

dwarfpike

That wasn't what I was picturing in my head, I was thinking more the stuck in the full yawn position species like Satanoperca or Petenia get.

CMooreCichlids

dwarfpike said:
That wasn't what I was picturing in my head, I was thinking more the stuck in the full yawn position species like Satanoperca or Petenia get.
haha, sorry to disappoint dwarfpike. I can text you the images of my C. regani after he got into a fight with a crayfish, if you'd like  ;)