It's DIY time. 3d background build

iandraco

a while ago i started a 3d background in a 20T. this is my experiment tank before i make a background for my mobas grow out tank. i was gonna wait till i was done to post but this is gonna be pic heavy, so here we go.

i started with some styrofoam i had lying around. cut out 2 pieces then drew some rock like shapes on one and cut them out with a hot knife (xacto blade connected to a soldering iron). siliconed the rock pieces to the other sheet and then siliconed the whole thing to the back of the tank. i did it this way because i was using really thin foam and i was afraid it might warp and not fit flat to the back at the end. not sure if that was a good idea but we'll find out.
3dbackground1.jpg

after the silicone was dry i mixed up some quickcrete (i used the expensive crack resistant stuff with fiberglass in it). i sifted through it to pull out all the bigger pebbles. then i applied a very watery coat to the background.
3dbackground2.jpg

i used a much thicker mixture for the second coat.
3dbackground3.jpg

for the third coat i used a slightly thinner mix than the second coat.
3dbackground4.jpg

i let the last coat dry for a week, and today cleaned out the excess splatter with a razor scraper and wiped down the tank with rubbing alcohol. i don't want to have huge ph spikes and an 8 week cycle for it to stabalise or have minerals leaching into my tank, so i am using drylok masonry water proofer to seal the concrete. i bought some queckcrete charcoal colored concrete pigment to tint the drylok to various shades of grey for a natural rock look.
3dbackground5.jpg

i mixed up a dark gray for a base coat (kind looks blue in the pic).
3dbackground6.jpg

tomorrow i'll apply a second coat of the same color, then lighten up the mix and do some hilights. more pics later.

iandraco

thanks. never seen that stuff before, but it looks really nice. i'm enjoying this project so no regrets as of now. this project will cost about the same as that but i have enough left over to do several tanks, which i am also looking forward to.

Gryphon

I'm going to attempt to attach suction cups to the back of mine so it can be removed if needed, as well as providing a slight gap behind it to route my air hose.. Also, the tank I'm putting this into is currently up and going so it'll make installation quicker. To help with stability, I made a cave like ledge that will have a support leg, so it you looked at it from the side it'd look like a h.

Only thing I don't have right now is the pigment and sealer. Lowes yesterday only had the big pails of pigment when I went in to get my materials. I was also considering using marine epoxy resin to seal the cement.

Gryphon

Anyone have a good recommendation for a safe epoxy resin? The only thing I could find at Home Depot was Fiberglass Resin.

JimA

You could also use magnets. Any 2 part water type epoxy should work. Be sure to test it on another psc of styro to make sure it doesn't disolve it.

Gryphon

Well the epoxy will be going on top of the cement so that shouldn't be a problem. My problem is finding epoxy that works. I was talking to the associates at Home Depot and they didn't seem to have a clue as to what would work.

jenreuter

Gryphon said:
Anyone have a good recommendation for a safe epoxy resin? The only thing I could find at Home Depot was Fiberglass Resin.
This is the cheapest/safest epoxy resin I could find. I used it on my DIY background with no issues. It is by the spray paint section at Home Depot. If you ask for Super Glaze, they should know what you are talking about.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202056337/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Super Glaze Parks Epoxy Resin&storeId=10051

jenreuter

Gryphon said:
IS the super glaze a clear coat?
No, it isn't a clear coat. It is what you commonly see on bar tops. You can make it as thin or thick as you want it. It is a two part mixture like any other resin. The only thing I didn't like about it, was that it is high gloss. So, if you don't put some sand or something in it, it is almost like a mirror under the water. Although, I think most epoxy resin is like that. But compared to the price of other resins, the Super Glaze is the cheapest around.

jenreuter

Definitly! When I did mine, I put the epoxy on and then sprinkled sand on top. However, I wish I would have just mixed pigment in. The sand did give it some texture though. My advice....mix a very small amount and apply it to a practice piece and play around with the pigment. See what you like best. That will also give you a feel for the texture of the epoxy. It is a little thick to apply, but a little bit goes a long ways.

iandraco

3 coats of the base coat later.
3dbackground7.jpg

nest i added some white drylok to the base coat leftovers to lighten it up for the first highlight then did a heavy dry brush over the raised areas and very light lightly in the recesses.
3dbackground8.jpg

i can't stand the way the tank looks from the side with the styrofoam showing, so i'm gonna paint the back and the and the area on the side where you can see the foam black.
3dbackground9.jpg