It's a little bit funny...

Spyral

So, for the past 2 weeks I have been steadily losing fish at night. I would usually wake up to a dead fish, it was almost always pretty well beat up.

First all my Istlanum were killed. All 6 of them. They were small, like 2-1/2".

Next were my Texas Cichlids. All 5 of them. They were between 2 and 3-1/2".

I suspected my Cubans (they were close to 4" each), or my Vontehillo Carpintis (they were close to 4" as well).

So, to solve the problem I decided to get rid of the Cubans and Carpintis before any of my Festae got killed. I was worried about them since I have had them from thumb nail sized fry.

Today, while waiting for someone to come over and buy the Cubans and Carpintis, I found out who the real terrorists were. it was the Festae. The three of them cornered the largest Cuban and beat the ever living shit out of him. They drove him into the gravel and all three just tore at him like they were going after a ball of fresh blood worms. By the time I grabbed a net and got the lid off the tank, he was dead. Just a matter of seconds. then, it suddenly made sense why all the Cubans and Carpintis were hanging out in the top water. The Festae were systematically killing everyone in the tank.

Now, I have the 3 Festae, 3 Neets and 4 Honduran Red Points along with all my Cory's and Plecos. The Festae have not bothered any smaller fish (Neets and HRP's are small) probably because they can hide better. I really did not think the Festae were that aggressive. Short of my old Snakehead tank, I have never seen fish so brutally attack a healthy fish.

Madness

Staff member
WOW. Maybe you should feed them more. :lol!:

Seriously though. I have never had that happen, (knock on wood). That really sucks. How big are your Festae?