Is this a fungus?

Zerc

jag10.jpg
[/img]

I noticed this last night. It appears to be a small bit of fuzz growing on the inside of his lower jaw. The jag is about 2-2.5" long.
What to do? I am going to the fish store in seattle today.

Zerc

I do not have a hospital tank, so i will need to treat the entire tank. what is best to use?

Madness

Staff member
It is going around like mad. Dont know why. I believe this is what my Dovii had, what DMD's Midas has, and a few others I have spoke to in the past couple weeks. Also known as flexibacter columnaris. Google this and find a web site with good tips. I gave my guy a salt bath with bifuran and it has seemed to work well. Also treated the tank with salt and potassium permanganate.

I would not treat with Melafix. I would go straight to the stronger stuff. 50% water changes daily with salt and PP, if not doing a bath. The bacteria feeds off of un eaten food. Clean the gravel thoroughly and under all items in the tank. Take out any wood and completely clean off in sink with cold water. Lower temp in tank to 74 degrees, the columnaris bacteria thrives on temps above 75. If the fungus gets into the jaws of the fish the fish is done. Once the fishes lips protrude out and stay there, the fish is done. So fix it now.

Zerc

I put in some pimafix tonight as it was all i had on hand. Also added 1 tbspn salt per 5 gallons. where can i pick up some PP ?

(i vacuum my all my gravel weekly, and do a 50% WC weekly) ill increase that i guess!

Ill wash wood tomorrow, i have close to somewhere close to 80 lbs of wood. :-\

Zerc

There was some loss of enthusiasm at feeding time tonight, though everyone still ate.

Here is a pic of the fish in question with his dinner:

jag210.jpg

(that is 1/3 of a worm, not the whole thing!) :pig:

That said, it is a 2 dollar fish, maybe i should flush it and hope it doesnt/hasnt spread to other fish while i continue treatment?
Also, this evening, the fuzz is almost completely gone. Don't know if that's an improvement or not after reading about what you say it is but there is that.

Madness

Staff member
I would just continue with water changes daily, wash wood. PP can be found in a Jungle product for ponds called Oxy Clear. Salt, water change, lower temp.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I feel for you Zerc, since I have been going through the same issue I too questioned the cost of the fish as opposed to the treatment time/cost. My Midas was only $8 but I have had him now for almost 3 years and he is unique in how peaceful he is.

I was mad that I lost my WC argentea, that was $59 down the drain. I had just noticed the argentea acting weird and was just going to start treatment and she was gone. She did not show any mouth related issues at all. She had a small cut on her side that fuzzed up and a lack of appetite. With normal water changes the fuzz went away but she stopped eating altogether.

With this recent outbreak I have got discouraged but I am still holding out hope for my big guy. Looks to me you are catching the problem pretty early and the fact that he is still eating is a big plus!

Zerc

thanks! I hope your midas gets better. Ive only had the jag for a month so... but I'm gonna keep them all and hope it gets better. Good thing i ordered 3 new fish and they get here tuesday... :violent:

Petsmart does not have PP... can i get it at sierra or apfp?

Adonijah

What does PP mean? Also when you salt during an outbreak, do you salt the whole 300 gallons even if you're only taking around 100? Or do you only salt the new water?

Madness

Staff member
Adonijah said:
What does PP mean? Also when you salt during an outbreak, do you salt the whole 300 gallons even if you're only taking around 100? Or do you only salt the new water?
I salt for the entire tank volume. But that is only when I do 50% or more, otherwise I just replace what I removed. PP is Potassium Permanganate.

Zerc Midway has 1 more container of it where they keep their pond meds and conditioners.

Madness

Staff member
madness said:
Adonijah said:
I salt for the entire tank volume. But that is only when I do 50% or more, otherwise I just replace what I removed. PP is Potassium Permanganate.

Zerc Midway has 1 more container of it where they keep their pond meds and conditioners.

Madness

Staff member
I used it in a bath with salt. You can use it in the tank also, but that could get pricey, not to mention it will turn your water yellow and it will be a while before the yellow tint disappears.

Madness

Staff member
It usually says on the container to go to the Hikari website for that ratio. Though this may work, all of the reading I did when my Dovii had issues, said nothing about medicated food, just external meds. And I read at least a dozen sites. But your call.

Zerc

I called midway, they said they have one package of 20 tablets, enough to treat 1000 gallons. Im going to return the bifuran and go get that i think.