is there a quieter air pump out there than a whisper?

iandraco

is there a quieter air pump out there than a whisper? i like the little ones. they are nice and quiet but the bigger (60 gallon) ones are pretty lout in my opinion. wondering if there is a better and quieter product out there?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I have use the whispers and for the cost they are not bad. I currently use the higher end Tetra AP150 and find it to have gotten louder as time goes on. I also have a Pen-Plax Battery back up model that over time seems loud. The very nature and design of these things seem like they just wear out and make noise and vibrate over time. Be interesting to hear what others have to say about theirs...

Jantilla

I use the petsmart brand that has four places you can hook up hoses. It's the biggest model they carry. It also gets louder as time goes by but you can return it anytime for a new one. I have. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The Top Fin stuff that Petsmart carries does have a good warranty. I had my 120g that had a cracked frame and even after two years they gave me a full refund.

Jantilla

DMD123 said:
The Top Fin stuff that Petsmart carries does have a good warranty. I had my 120g that had a cracked frame and even after two years they gave me a full refund.
Sometimes I fill my empty prime bottles with water then take them back for credit. :laughhard:

Just Joking.

sandnuka

Almost every air pump I have ever used has been very loud.... in whisper was terrible.... dont know, they need to come out with siltent ones..... instead of calling it whisper call it "silent! lol

iandraco

what about those Pen-Plax Pods? i read they are nearly silent but i don't know if people are referring to to small 10 or 20 gallon pumps. i'm running several sponge filters in several fry tanks off of this and need a pump big enough to run them all.

fryrack.jpg

I find my whisper to be to loud to sleep in the same room with. Ive instead moved it into another room and just run a line from room to room.

Fish Addict

I might just be lucky but my Second Nature Whisper 700 is nearly silent and I have had it FOREVER and it has been running nearly constantly :D

Raynut

I have a Tetra Deepwater air pump that is ultra quiet and powerful. I use it for 2-12" air stones in my 475 gallon tank that is 32" deep. I have enough air left that I have to turn down the gang valves. Bought on Amazon for about $60.00. I had to buy it because the Coralife air pump is way too loud. It's very powerful but you need earplugs.

Gizmo

I've had success with placing noisy air pumps on top of a towel, even a folded towel, and it quiets them down quite a bit. Be careful about heat buildup though.