~~~Is My Pleco Confused~~~

Wolf-Keeper1

Ok i have just a regualr pleco nothing fancy about it. But it does do wierd things, actually it eats wierd things. It eats Krill and cichlid gold and massivor, but it wont touch the algae waffers or zuccini (sp) I tried romane lettuce but it doesnt want that either. I was talking to Shua the other day when I witnessed my pleco swim straight up and get a pellet and then swim back down. I never seen that before. I'm sure they eat all kinds of stuff, but why is mine only into The Dovii's food and not what I put in there for it. When the massivor pellet hits the gravel my pleco comes out and looks for it, but when there is a veggi in there he goes to it and then swims to find some other food. Anyway I'm not too worried just curious if anyone else has a pleco like this.

icer711

what would you eat veggies n potatoes or gourmet food given the choice? they if i remember right are omnivores so the green stuff isnt always first choice... and i have seen my swim all the way to the top and take large cichlid pellets floating on the surface

alexmuw

I have 2 large plecos (9inch +) that do this. They have done this for quite a while and I haven't seen any ill effects. None of my smaller plecos do this, they enjoy eating algae.

If they want to fight with my other fish for food, I say good luck!

Ashley

When we had plecos they would always eat whatever the other fish were eating (pellets, krill, talapia) I don't even think we tried giving them veggies because it would just be a hassle for us! LOL. No one else would eat the veggies so why get it? :D

Billiethekid

my pleco is only 6-7 inches long and ive never seen him go for anything tht is put in the tank.. he enjoys stuff already there... like algae.. the random dead feeder guppie... on the other hand my chinese algae eater 6inch in same tank loves the veggie rounds but wont touch algae or other fish food.. so i guess it could just be a preferance...

Wolf-Keeper1

Ok cool. So it's kind of what I
thought they just eat what they like. I was just curious if anybodys pleco did the same lol. Thanks guys for all the info.