Is Mexican Pot Rock usable for African cichlids?

hyp3rcrav3

I have heard of pot rock being used as a base in salt tanks. Is it safe in an ph 8.1 cichlid tank? I have always used slates and pumice stone.

thanx

old hobbyist, new to africans

InfamousRedlineZ

I've seen a couple of people used those pots before in the pass. It's fine but the only thing I would worry about is, when they are being chase/irritation and run into the pots it might cause damage.

Anthraxx

if you were using pumice stone without any real issues id say you could use it. its a little rougher then most so that may be an issue (but all my fish are used to lace rock) so you may be alright. ive had issues introducing new fish to these types of rocks as they like to flash and itch on them which in turn tears them up. sooner or later they seem to learn not to mess with em tho. anyways GL to ya.

hyp3rcrav3

So it sin't so much that the rock will mess with the PH as much as it has too many sharp edges for such rambunctious fish as African Cichlids.

Spyral

hyp3rcrav3 said:
So it sin't so much that the rock will mess with the PH as much as it has too many sharp edges for such rambunctious fish as African Cichlids.
Yep. I keep Frontosa and they can be real skittish when people walk by the tank. I have a load of THR in my tank and sometimes a fish will run into it. But like stated above, they learn pretty quick.