In Praise of Crossocheilus siamens (Siamese Algae Eater)

VElderton

Thanks to a recommendation from Sir Keith about Crossocheilus siamens and their ability to control hair algae a type of freshwater red algae I bought a few for my mom's 30 G community tank.

Before the Crossocheilus siamens were introduced into the tank
[GALLERY=media, 268]03.29.18_StagLeaf Java Fern by VElderton posted Apr 25, 2018 at 8:56 AM[/GALLERY]

2 weeks later same tank ... same Staghorn Java Fern
[GALLERY=media, 269]04.12.18_StagLeaf Java Fern by VElderton posted Apr 25, 2018 at 8:56 AM[/GALLERY]

One of the cleaning crew ...
[GALLERY=media, 271]Crossocheilus Siamensis(2) by VElderton posted Apr 25, 2018 at 8:57 AM[/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 270]Crossocheilus Siamensis (1) by VElderton posted Apr 25, 2018 at 8:57 AM[/GALLERY]​

I bought 2 young fish and a 4 - 5 in one that the shop had as a trade-in from a hobbyist's tank. I think the young fish are better gleaners than the full size fish, but I am basing that on an assumption more than a direct observation. It was pretty amazing what 3 Crossocheilus siamensis accomplished in the first 2 weeks, now we are at week 8. In the first three weeks the fish seemed to be selective which plants have been grazed. Staghorn - Java for showed the most improvement. There is a Bolbitis in the tank that had quite a bit of the algae and a little on some wood as well - not much obvious improvement in the first weeks, the results are quite different now.

Bolbitis after 7 weeks quite the cleaning job ...

[GALLERY=media, 272]05.21.18_Bolbitis by VElderton posted May 27, 2018 at 11:40 AM[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=media, 273]05.21.18_Bolbitis(2) by VElderton posted May 27, 2018 at 11:41 AM[/GALLERY]​

I was wondering ... why the difference between Staghorn cleaning and the Bolbitis? One of the Vancouver Aq Hobby folks suggested that it was access, probably the BBA on the Staghorn was easier to get at ...

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Nice! I use sailfin plecos for my tanks when they grow hair algae and other types as well.... for my large cichlids, they are the only ones that survive( haha) plus, I’ve seen them continue to eat algae even at the 18” size

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Nice! I use sailfin plecos for my tanks when they grow hair algae and other types as well.... for my large cichlids, they are the only ones that survive( haha) plus, I’ve seen them continue to eat algae even at the 18” size

Yeah, but an 18" pleco (seriously?) is not going to be much good for cleaning algae off Vallisneria... :)

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

18 inch pleco
*head explodes*

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I have ~30 small 1-2" C. siamensis in various tanks at the moment. I have been pleased to see that they adapt well to pH 8.8 Tanganyika water. I was also pleased to see that they are fine tankmates for some of the more delicate Tanganyikans, like Xenotilapia and Ophthalmotilapia. Not so surprising that they get along well with Cyprichoromis, with whom they share the water column. None of my C. siamensis have yet reached a sufficient size for me to be comfortable trying to house them with adult Tropheus, so we'll have to see how that works out, but I am optimistic. I'll keep you posted. BTW, 6 small C. siamensis in a 100g completely cured that tank of its black hair algae problem.