$ilver Dollar$

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I put this one under "Large fish" because the fish can and do get large.

I put in an order with https://exoticfishshop.net/product/setiger-silver-dollar/
sd.jpg

I did order a group of 8 of the Myleus Setiger or sometimes called the sailfin red hook. Steve cut me a deal since I was buying all his stock and got free overnight shipping. The order is paid for so now it just a waiting game.

As adults this is what I hope to get:
Sailfin-Red-Hook-Silver-Dollar.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Expecting small fish that will need to be grown out so I made the decision to move my Oscar out of the 90 gallon into the 300. So the 90 will serve as a growout for a while. The problem is the bichirs that would easily eat them up until maybe about 4 1/2 inches or so. Hopefully I get enough growth that I am not using the 90 to grow them out for too long.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Would also like a video or a few pics of the 300 with the Oscar in there!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Would also like a video or a few pics of the 300 with the Oscar in there!
Will let him heal and settle in more before any video. He put up a huge fight and scraped up a bunch of scales. So far no issues between him and the pearsei….

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
As I await my shipment, I wanted to comment on my experience thus far with: https://exoticfishshop.net/product/setiger-silver-dollar/

Years ago I placed an order for an irwini catfish and everything looked like it was a go but then the seller said that he wasnt happy with the condition of the fish. It had some sort of eye issue so he ended up refunding me and I had never ordered anything since. I had no issues with the company, just nothing caught my eye to order over the years. I was actually quite impressed at his honesty.

When I decided I wanted a schooling fish for the 300, I started looking at all my options and the Exotic Fish Shop seemed the way to go. The thing is the fish in question was expensive at $119.99 and the computer only showed 3 in stock. For fun I emailed using the 'contact us' feature of the website. On a Friday evening, I asked if any specials were coming up on this fish and mentioned I was looking for 7 of them. First thing Monday morning I had a response! He happened to have 8 on hand and was willing to sell at $89.99. While you guys can do the math and see this was an expensive order, a $30 discount off on 8 fish was $240. I know Wet Spot had them in the past at $59.99 each, but for me this seemed like the answer I needed right now, so I bought these. They ended up shipping out on Monday, I should see them today... hopefully around noon.

So far from what Ive dealt with Steve at Exotic, Im very pleased. Good communication and speedy service. Will post pics of the order when it comes in, along with thoughts on packaging, etc.

Moral of the story... Don't be afraid to ask for a discount, you never know!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My order came in right before noon. The package did have to be signed for but the wife was home today, so no issue there.

The box came in and confused me a bit. It was to come from UPS but I saw USPS boxes. Likely he was using whatever free packaging he could get. I liked that he packed the fish 4 per box in two boxes.
IMG_20230725_120843821.jpg
The reveal...
IMG_20230725_120951271.jpg
IMG_20230725_121013300.jpg
Each fish was in a heat sealed bag, double bagged. And these were THICK bags! Very much appreciated that!
IMG_20230725_121403886.jpg
Inside of box just a bunch of styrofoam
IMG_20230725_124400247.jpg
Very well packed and happy with how they were packaged and handled.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
lol, you probably thought the last post was a lame update, where are the fish?

Okay here we go

Acclimating for temperature
IMG_20230725_121636704.jpg
IMG_20230725_121642968.jpgOnce acclimated for temp, I pull bags and start to acclimate for water difference. I put fish in bucket and mix in my tank water slowly
IMG_20230725_124004204.jpg
IMG_20230725_124138843.jpg
Now into the tank they go after the water acclimation.
IMG_20230725_124638096_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230725_124743372_HDR.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The fish are a bit skittish as expected but they ate this evening. I fed frozen spirulina mysis shrimp and they fed like piranha, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My wife had commented that during the day one of the fish was under the heater most of the time and the other 7 were schooling. I watched the fish for a while and noticed this too. When I approached the tank the fish scattered a bit but this one went to an upper corner by itself and the other 7 swam away as a school. As I fed them the 7 ate a lot while the lone fish did not seem to even eat. Later in the evening when the blue light came on, it seemed the solo fish found the school. I added a few pellets to see if they fish would eat and it seemed they were all feeding. I think the fish may just have an issue with the lighting being a bit too bright or something.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
These guys are eating machines! They have ate any food I've put in the tank, so that is awesome. This is really nice because I have food the other fish have turned their nose up to and these guys just chow it down. Love when there is no wasted foods! The one odd ball SD is still a little weird and will often go solo but seeing him interact with the school much more.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was kind of fun going out to a dim garage with all the tanks in blue light mode. The silver dollars were calm and didn’t dash around at all. I fed them and got to enjoy watching them just being chill. I try to go out regularly so they see me and get used to the movement, but when its all lit up they do dash about. I might turn the led light down and see if they are a little calmer.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The little guys have been with me 10 days now. I had forgotten how skittish these fish can be, and am trying to move often and be as smooth and purposeful towards the tank as I can, with no sudden movements, but they still dash about. I know when they get much older and have a bigger tank it will be better, but hate seeing the mad dash all the time. The odd SD seems to have fit in the group and rarely see it off on its lonesome as often. Just a patient waiting game now to get size on them to be able to add to the 300.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
With eight of these SD's in the tank it really is hard to tell whats going on with them because they are fast and dart around as a school. I do believe I have at least two males by the looks of the way the anal fins are developing and a couple have thicker looking hooks which make me think, might not be Setiger's after all.
IMG_1697.jpeg
Look at the above pic with the mouth structure and hook comparison of the two SD's and you can see what I mean. Top fish is what I would call a Setiger, bottom one not so sure

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Are fin-ray counts diagnostic for the different Metynnis species?
Really not sure.

Was talking with a very knowledgeable MFK member (FJB), who knows a lot about SD's, about my question.

His response was:

"It is interesting you mention the apparent differences in anal fins among the females. I noticed it too, observing two types: the big, heavy fin similar to blue hooks, and the more delicate hook of the other specimen.
Another possibility is that the delicate-looking hook may be in males who have not yet developed a second lobe in the anal fin, but which may still do so later. However, not having experience with this species, and the fish being still young and developing made me think that I was imagining things. But you mentioned too so I am not crazy after all. Perhaps you are onto something there. Time will tell and teach us all.
Regarding differences in shape of the mouth- I am not sure since I only have a few shots to see, whereas you have the group to observe at ease. But it is very interesting. Again, time will tell. Not much time as they are maturing fast!"