~~~Illegal Fish~~~

Big Dave

I'm acquaintances with the head of fish and wildlife enforcement for WA state. A petition probably won't do much because they've already done the research and decided that these fish are a potential threat. All though the fish listed above are illegal in WA state, the likeliness of an enforcement officer coming to your door if very low. There is 1 enforecement officer for the whole state of WA. But if tipped off they could send someone out. But I just want to remind you guys to be responsible fish keepers and don't dump your fish. that solves the problem right there.

Wolf-Keeper1

Yeah it would. But with them being illegal in Washington they won't be available. I really can't believe that a gar would damage the enviroment a Florida spotted gar that is. Not sure about the others.

hbluehunter

I think they're really more worried about the snakeheads and bowfins around here because they could actually live in our waters and kill all the native fish.. As for the gars i'm really doubting that one, they would die as soon as they hit our waters, it is flat out too cold for them to live in washington. Well they might be able to live half the year in eastern wa, but as soon as the cold weather hit they'd all die from, the cold.. I think the only one that should be on the illegal list is the gator gar, those things are BEASTS, and not many people can actually house one.

Wolf-Keeper1

Those gator gars are crazy big. I would have thought that the snakehead would die too but I think I did read somewhere they could live in coldwater. The bowfin absoultly no doubt it would thrive and establish itself in our waters. There from waters just like ours living under the ice too way crazy. Mine did jump out of my tank and die for the record....lol.

Wolf-Keeper1

Oh also I would like to add it was the Florida spotted gar that Shua really wanted to protest against since they couldn't live in our waters.

Big Dave

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
Oh also I would like to add it was the Florida spotted gar that Shua really wanted to protest against since they couldn't live in our waters.
If you wrote a thorough professional letter with tons of info about the species and present it to WA fish and wildlife, that may get you somewhere. A few years ago I wrote a paper on stingrays because they were going to make them illegal because they had no info and noticed alot of people importing them into the state. All they need is info, references and professionalism. they could care less about our opinions. they want well documented facts. You could try that, it would be the best approach.

Wolf-Keeper1

Big Dave said:
Wolf-Keeper1 said:
If you wrote a thorough professional letter with tons of info about the species and present it to WA fish and wildlife, that may get you somewhere. A few years ago I wrote a paper on stingrays because they were going to make them illegal because they had no info and noticed alot of people importing them into the state. All they need is info, references and professionalism. they could care less about our opinions. they want well documented facts. You could try that, it would be the best approach.
I will start gathering info and facts. Thanks.

sandnuka

The only snakehead varaint that could thrive in our frigid waters is the northern snakehead. The others are tropical fish, but with all the scare of them being able to live outside of water I really dont think anything will make them legal in our country, let alone state. :)

Deltron1988

I was wondering if anyone ever sees fathead minnows fs anywhere?
I know they're illegal in WA but sometimes we get them in our fish shipments and I often take them home.

sandnuka

I dont think they sell sturgeon anywhere.... but im sure if you where to catch one and let it go in your pond you wouldnt get into any trouble. that goes for trout, salmon, skate, dogfish (sharks), etc..... if you catch it, its yours to eat/keep.

I know thats what they say about snakehead in florida, if you catch one your not suppost to release it... eat, kill it.... sure if you kept it in an aquarium you wouldnt get in trouble unless you start sellin its babes.

Doza

iI remember seeing somewhere where to buy one but i am having trouble finding it.. I could have sworn liveaquaria had them at one point.. i will find that site.. lol

i was told they are illegal to keep wild caught or not..

lars on

Doza said:
iI remember seeing somewhere where to buy one but i am having trouble finding it.. I could have sworn liveaquaria had them at one point.. i will find that site.. lol

i was told they are illegal to keep wild caught or not..
They had some sterling sturgeon in midway a while back, only get 4 feet long, dont know if they are illegal though

Wolf-Keeper1

Deltron1988 said:
I know they're illegal in WA but sometimes we get them in our fish shipments and I often take them home.
what do you do with minnows? Do you just keep them or use them as feeders?

sandnuka

why are fathead minnows illegal?? arent they called rosy red minnows? I thought I saw them at fish shops before?? must be confused?? but why are they illegal?

hbluehunter

I know a few months back they had some Sturgeon at Pet Pouri, not sure if they're legal or not though..lol I'm sure F&G would have more of a problem with you taking a wild one and throwing it in a fish tank / pond than buying one out of a lfs..

Deltron1988

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
Deltron1988 said:
what do you do with minnows? Do you just keep them or use them as feeders?
a little bit of both.
I like them in with my ram cichlids and I enjoy their look.

sandnuka said:
why are fathead minnows illegal?? arent they called rosy red minnows? I thought I saw them at fish shops before?? must be confused?? but why are they illegal?
pretty sure they're sold every once in awhile but I think they're just illegal for being invasive.
they're commonly traded as rosy reds.
I just was wondering where if anywhere is bold enough to carry them.

Racersk

I did some research before I *may or may not have* bought a bowfin from Pet P. I asked about legalities...I do't remember the specifics, but basicly Snakeheads are illegal, but the bowfin was ok...

IMO this fish might be invasive, due to the coldwater preferance, But I don't consider it to be overly aggressive, and as a matter of fact gets bullied by my smaller green sunfish, definitely is out competed for food...oops, I may have said too much...lol