If you had to choose one bottom feeder, what would it be?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
As of now I have four bottom feeding fish in my 210g and I feel like they just dont get along well. As of now it consists of a Rhino pleco, hoplo cat, delhezi bichir and weeksii bichir. The most territorial and problematic fish is the rhino pleco. It has always hated the hoplo cat and attacked it and it will attack the weeksii. It almost seems my decision is get rid of the rhino and keep the other three or get rid of the other three and keep the rhino.

So if you had these 'issues' in your tank who would you keep and who would you 'let go'?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Re: If you had to choose one bottom feeder, what would it be

I guess it is more of a one or the other question rather than just one.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member

I can't give you my opinion until I see pics of all four

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

lloyd378 said:
I can't give you my opinion until I see pics of all four
I knew you would say that! :lmfao:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I guess the decision is difficult because I dont really know who I would get rid of Ive had them all for a while now but its really only been a couple months that they have shared the same tank.

The hoplo cat is awesome because he swims all over and is basically an overgrown cory cat. He is not colorful but his wiskers and activeness make him a favorite.

The rhino pleco not colorful but awesome sailfin and cool little ridge that they get on their foreheads. Pretty visible in the tank but nowhere near as active as the hoplo or delhezi bichir. I think if it were to go, no one would ever know.

The bichirs are both interesting. The delhezi is active and has an interesting pattern and gets along well with others. The weeksii is just plain cute. It is know as the fathead bihir and just has a funny look to its head and mouth. It is a hider and I dont see it often in comparison to the other fish.

So those are some of the facts.... thoughts?

Madness

Staff member

get rid of the pleco, thats not because I want it if you do :) , but because out of all of them it is the only fish that is territorial and can be very aggressive with other bottom dwellers.

What about replace the Rhino with 3 Geophagus that stay around the 5" mark?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

I'd slim down to the Haplo for sure. I'd get him some friends too. They are awesome.

anthony

don't get rid of the weeksi once that thing gets over a foot it will be gliding all over the tank and turn into the main attraction

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member

Just move the Pleco to the Oscar tank

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

lloyd378 said:
Just move the Pleco to the Oscar tank
Already have a pleco in there. The L114 is pretty expensive to take the risk.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

anthony said:
don't get rid of the weeksi once that thing gets over a foot it will be gliding all over the tank and turn into the main attraction
Thats what I hope but it is pretty shy compared to the del.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Aquarium Co-Op said:
I'd slim down to the Haplo for sure. I'd get him some friends too. They are awesome.
I love that hoplo, I could just imagine how cool it would look with a group of them!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Madness said:
get rid of the pleco, thats not because I want it if you do :) , but because out of all of them it is the only fish that is territorial and can be very aggressive with other bottom dwellers.

What about replace the Rhino with 3 Geophagus that stay around the 5" mark?

Now what would you do with a rhino? :lmfao: The one pleco you are missing?

If he were to go I would not replace him with anything but just let the other fish have more space.

KaraWolf

Out of your tank I'd be doing the arrangement to keep the delhazi <3

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

The Delhezi is one of my favorites and usually gets the most comments from people who see the tank. The weeksii is cool but shy in comparison. But I think it would be cool to let it grow out. I think the solution is likely the pleco needing to go. I really like it and would likely keep it with my Oscar, if the Oscar was in a bit bigger tank, maybe at a 100 gallons or so. But he already has an expensive pleco in there with him.

I hate these decisions! I know someone needs to go to help with the aggression, but I happen to like the aggressor!

dwarfpike

I'd keep the Hoplo as well, gives you that classic catfish shape to contrast the cichlids.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Not sure on this one, so maybe some pleco experts could help.

New scenario, If I removed (sold) the rhino, I also could move the hoplo in with the Oscar and move the L114 into the 210g. So It would be the weeksii and delhezi bicirs with a Lepord Cactus pleco. Thoughts?

Right now the L114 pleco hides a lot but Im not sure on their overall aggression/territorial issues compared to other plecos.

Madness

Staff member

L114 can also be territorial but not as much as the Rhino. L114 will defend its cave if invaded by other bottom dwellers, they also get active when lights go out which shouldnt be an issue.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for that. I kind of feel like all the rhino is doing is defending its spot. I think the problem is they all like the spot because it provides a nice hiding area and that is where I feed so the food drops right in front of them. They can feel secure and then pop out to eat. Like I said not sure about the weeksii because it will hold its ground for a long time and let the pleco suck on him. Its not like the pleco has developed any 'taste' for the slime coat it is total territorial issue and it happens in one spot at the pleco's 'log'. The aggression toward the hoplo is anywhere and everywhere whether there is food in the tank or not. Must just be too similar looking of a fish to the rhino. At this point I almost feel the answer is another tank but I really cant do that unless I upgrade my 72g bow up to about a 100 gallons or so. I will think on it some more and figure out who goes...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Had to throw this fun fact out there. Since I have had the Weeksii, I think I have only seen it eat like twice ever. Ive had him for a little over a year now...

He always was a shy eater, so I feed at night right when the light go off. Im sure he must be getting something since he is still alive!