Idiot (water change) alarm

clifford

A few days back I saw Cory's video on the python hook, and it got me thinking-- I don't really have a problem with the attachments on the python when refilling-- but I do have a problem with my attention span.

I tend to do 40-50% changes on my tanks, and no mater how hard I try, at some point while working around the room I lose track of the water, and don't realize I'm over the top of the tank until I hear the waterfall. I've done this dozens of times (usually fairly minor, but several times 30 gallons or more)...and at some point it's going to cost me some lights or livestock, so I wanted to find a cheap solution.

For me, that's this:
http://smile.amazon.com/Glentronics...ect=true&ref_=pe_2487870_191945460_em_1p_0_ti
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JOK11K/?tag=wafishbox-20

It's a smoke detector style alarm, and when the contacts are bridged by water, it squeaks. The bottom of the unit unsnaps, and has a 6 foot extension cable (of which I only use about 10"). I basically just unsnapped the bottom, mounted the extension to the end of a plastic hook I can set over the edge of the tank when I start to refill, and put 1 layer of black duct tape over the front. This keeps it loud enough to easily hear in the next room (if I'm working at the utility sink cleaning things out), but doesn't blast my ears if I'm still right next to it.

$12, problem solved.

Ali

I remember my folks had one in a downstairs shower when it would get backed up from the kitchen sink upstairs. That thing would go off if the room got too humid, and wasn't east to deactivate. Hopefully you don't have the same issue, and I think muffling the alarm is brilliant. Duct-tape to the resccue!

clifford

Actually, I can wipe off the contacts with my hand (without even a cloth), and so far it turns right off.

TennisAngel

That's great. Thanks for sharing. I know what you are talking about with not paying attention. I haven't actually had mine go over -yet, but pretty darn close many times. I think I should get this for a "just incase" scenario.