Ideas for a South American schooling fish...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

In my planted 140 long I have a school of Rummy Nosed Tetra. I like them a lot & so does my dwarf Pike Regani. So, I'm thinking about switching for a S. American schooling fish that either is a little bigger, or a shape that's not tubular like the Rummy nose.

Considering Diamond Tetra, Lemon Tetra, Congo Tetra. These are my favorite types/ color but I've raised these before and looking for something a little different.

I did run into this species on the Internet, if anyone has had experience with these or know where I could find them please do tell. Red Phantom Tetra (Megalamphodus sweglesi) http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/red-phantom-tetra.html
I read that these Tetra get about as long as the Rummynose but the body shape is wider (top to bottom), and thinking strategically my pike will have issue eating these...

Other tank mates include Apistogramma, Angel fish, bristle nosed Pleco, ottocinculus , emerald green Corys.

Thanks,

theChad

Madness

Staff member
Do you want to keep it with Tetra, or would you consider Cichlids?
Cause I know the perfect Cichlid. :D

A

Anonymous

madness said:
Do you want to keep it with Tetra, or would you consider Cichlids?
Cause I know the perfect Cichlid. :D
Well the idea is to keep with the schooling fish. I have about 4 species of Apistograma, 1 Angel, my pair of dwarf pike, and a school of Cory cats. If there is a type of dwarf cichlid you have in mind I would like to hear! But please consider the tank is fully planted, with many delicate plants that can be ripped apart by an obnoxious tank mate.

Madness

Staff member
Yea dang it, they will probably eat your plants. They are actually from India, they avg around 5-6", and they do school. They are called Etroplus canarensis, and they are on the Endangered list.

Maybe I should just get ANOTHER tank, and get some myself along with some rare Uaru's. Here are a couple pics of the Etroplus canarensis
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

nick_76

I once saw a tank in Baltimore aquarium that was full of Uarus.....oh, I was envious you better believe it....if I couldn't have discus, id have uarus...if not them, id leave the hobby...

in other words, a tank full of uarus would be a cool thing...that is, if you don't like plants at all

A

Anonymous

madness said:
Yea dang it, they will probably eat your plants.  They are actually from India, they avg around 5-6", and they do school.  They are called Etroplus canarensis, and they are on the Endangered list.

Maybe I should just get ANOTHER tank, and get some myself along with some rare Uaru's.  Here are a couple pics of the Etroplus canarensis
30324010.jpg
" />
etropl10.jpg
" />
Those are awesome maddness & would love to house them!
My 140 is totally S American themed with dwarf species. The largest fish I have now is an Angel fish. I am attempting to maintain up to 20 tetra, but I'm loosing at the lest 1 every other day due to predation by this 5" male...

Anthraxx

try buenos aires tetras. they get bigger and should be able to deal with a little fin nipping. theyre also quite colorful which i feel is a nice little bonus. just my opinion, in either case i would let the tetras settle in while the 5'' pike takes a little time out.

nick_76

come to think of it, why didn't I suggest them before I suggested the uarus? hmmm..don't know what I was thinking

A

Anonymous

Anthraxx said:
try buenos aires tetras. they get bigger and should be able to deal with a little fin nipping. theyre also quite colorful which i feel is a nice little bonus. just my opinion, in either case i would let the tetras settle in while the 5'' pike takes a little time out.
Although a beautiful fish these are notorious fin nippers, plant eaters, big thumbs down...

Come one ppl really? All the info in what I am looking for is in the heading and beginning post! Please let's stay on topic as well, I don't want to talk about Discus, or anything besides a schooling fish that can fit the profile in this thread.

Thank you,

theChad

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Do they have to be South American? I have Australian Rainbows in my bichir tank and love how active they are.

A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
Do they have to be South American? I have Australian Rainbows in my bichir tank and love how active they are.
I love Rainbow fish DMD123! I used to raise many species. My all time fav is Madigascar rainbows. Over the past year I've completely removed all other species from other regions.

The "center piece" fish to this is my dwarf pikes. 2nd Apistogramma, and finally Angels dancing to & fro. So you see, 5-6 inch rainbows won't fit ultimately. But..... A nice school of tetra would go awesome!!

DMD123, I once had a school of adult Congo Tetra. @ 3 fat inches my 15" Delhezi made a nice snack out of them ;)either that it was my 15" Bullhead cat... But I degress....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had considered adding African Red Eye Tetras instead of my Rainbows.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry forgot to add, I needed cheap expendable fish in case the bichir started hunting. I got regular Rainbows from Petsmart on sale for $1.30 each. The other schooling fish were just too much money to risk.

A

Anonymous

DMD123 said:
I had considered adding African Red Eye Tetras instead of my Rainbows.
These are bad a**. For a time I was goings to do a W.African theme with these & W.African Cichlids. Aquarium CoOp had some of these the last time I was there a week or 2 ago.

I went with Congo Tetra with my Poly's. they survived until they where full grown (a fat 3") but they later got predated on by a 12" Bullhead Catfish...

Gryphon

I love my dwarf neon rainbowfish, but I'm considering changing up what I have in my tank XD They do seem to school together a bit though, but that could be because I have them in a 30 hex instead of a rectangular tank.

nick_76

discus are pretty much a schooling fish...from south America, bigger and not a tubular shape....in your original post, you didn't rule out discus..

LuminousAphid

I have some Boehlkea fredcochui that are pretty awesome, and they are kind of outgrowing my 20 high:

6qcUifv.jpg

These are mine, taken a couple months ago. They look even better now, have some pink coloration to their anal fins which is really nice looking and gives them a bit more pop.

I'm pretty sure they're south american, I think from higher up in the amazon basin. They are super active, always swimming around, and they are super funny sometimes too. They will carry around a mini algae wafer and play keep up with it, I have seen the 11 of them eat an entire mini algae wafer without letting it hit the bottom

Here's one of them trying to eat a Hikari "crab cuisine" pellet whole, and he is having a bit of a hard time: [flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/6bbf5FVZ5Fw" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

Status
Not open for further replies.