Ich Treatment

ceashel

Looks like one of my new african's has broken out with a case of ich. I noticed today that he he has some perceptible white dots near his head. He and a couple of the others appear to be rubbing against the sand occasionally, too. This is the first time I've ever encountered it, so I did some research online. I found this awesome article and I think this is a good way to go. (raising temp, adding aquarium salt) It's most appealing because I wouldn't have to go spend more money on treatment chemicals. I don't want to risk wiping out my tank, though. Most of the fish in my tank are pretty tiny, between an inch and an inch and a half. I want to make sure it won't be too rough on them. The temp in my tank was about 78, upped the heater a bit so I can raise it slowly. Have lots of oxygen in the tank, running a power head and some air stones. Any thoughts?
http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_health_treating_ich_white_spot.shtml

Addictedtofish

What I do for ich treatment raise my temp to 86 degrees slowly for 3 to 4 days to speed up the ich life cycle and use quick cure. Its only $1.96 at most pet stores. Ive even used it full strength on baby cardinals and never lost one. Make sure you keep treating the water and do gravel vac's every third to fourth day for a week to make sure the ich is all dead and not in the middle of another life cycle where you cant kill them.

sandnuka

Dont forget to pull your filter media.... just keep sponges in there.... it kinda filters out the quick cure if you dont.... and I always use quick cure, I have never tried just salt and raising temp by itslef.... good luck though!
and keep us updated!

regan24

My wee baby Oscars got ich from a pleco about 2/3 weeks ago, all I did was throw in a BUNCH of aquarium salt, do a water change, and raised the temp pretty dang high... It killed itself. I'm kind of crazy when it comes to adding things to my tanks, but I know Quick Cure is safe when you dose it correctly. Petco has it. Like sand said, make sure you take out your carbon otherwise it'll soak up the meds, run just a plain filter. My ich went away in about a week, and they're healthy again! Good luck!

ceashel

Thanks for the well wishes. I've got the tank up to about 80 now. Just raising it slowly and will shoot for 86. Did a partial water change and added about half the salt so it's not too overwhelming. I don't need to take out the carbon filter until or unless I add the quick cure, right? The salt itself shouldn't affect it? So far everybody is still acting happy and normal so hopefully I can catch it early.

regan24

No, the carbon shouldn't affect the salt, don't forget that salt doesn't evaporate, so you'll need to do a pretty large water change when the ich's gone. I HATE large water changes, but you don't want to over-salt