I want one

Spyral

This is my first-on-the-list fish once my 75 is set up. I have wanted one before I wanted an anemone! lol,..,

lilfishie

It is a green mandarin dragonet. It is a fish rated as difficult care level. It will eat only live foods, so your system has to be mature and stable to keep a continuous population of pods for it to eat.

Spyral

You mean one of these?

IMG00257-20101017-1442.jpg

IMG00260-20101017-1442.jpg

Yeah, they're pretty cool..lol

Jacko

I've seen them weened onto live brine and NLS pellets before, after that's done keeping them alive isn't as difficult, don't have to worry as much about a fuge with a healthy population of copepods...

lilfishie

These mandarins may be an inexpensive beautiful fish, but they are difficult to keep alive if they are not supplied with the proper food. 99% of them will not eat frozen or flake or pellet foods. Some have been trained to eat frozen, but must be fed in a specific way so that they actually get the food and the other fish do not eat it first. Some have built feeding boxes that they put the food into for them. If you rely on food floating around in the water column they will not get it and they will starve to death. IMO Don’t get a fish that you may just starve to death just because it’s beautiful and cheep. Wait until your system is mature enough to sustain it. Then you will be able to enjoy it for its entire lifetime.

Spyral

If I have issues keeping mine, he will go back to the store. However, he has been eating and I have a secret weapon..a copepod breeding station.

lilfishie

Spyral said:
If I have issues keeping mine, he will go back to the store. However, he has been eating and I have a secret weapon..a copepod breeding station.
Get some small rock rubble and pile it in a back corner behind a bigger rock. It will give the copepods a safe place to breed on their own in the tank and help keep up the population.