I have an open 300, hmmm

dwarfpike

A 300 might be overkill, but I know two different big cichlid guys that have independently mentioned that their favorite tanks have been 125 gallon apisto colony tanks. Two dominate males split the tank in half, 1-2 sleeper males, and 8-10 females.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Madness said:
it could be a HUGE planted tank with a bunch of smaller species. Hmmmm

You'd get bored and end up putting in one of your big cichlids that would decimate a planted tank.... If you remember back about 1.5-2 years ago I tried planted with apistos and ended up selling the fish and letting my big cichlids have their way with the plants...... You are pretty much cut from the same cloth.....

Arapaima? I remember you saying that you wanted to turn your sons old bedroom into a giant tank!

L190

That'll have to be a crazy big room. I saw a arapaima in a huge aquarium once in singapore, even though it was a huge tank, it looked really small for an arapaima. Maybe an african arowana?

Madness

Staff member
lloyd378 said:
You'd get bored and end up putting in one of your big cichlids that would decimate a planted tank.... If you remember back about 1.5-2 years ago I tried planted with apistos and ended up selling the fish and letting my big cichlids have their way with the plants...... You are pretty much cut from the same cloth.....

Arapaima? I remember you saying that you wanted to turn your sons old bedroom into a giant tank!

I think you are 100% correct there Lloyd, it has to be something that I have an itch for, and I dont have an itch for Apisto's, sorry. And no that must have been someone else talking about his sons bedroom being a tank. lol

dwarfpike

Oh, I didn't think you'd go apistos. But with the bigger size of a 300, maybe a huge group of Thorichthys would be more your speed.

Madness

Staff member
dwarfpike said:
Oh, I didn't think you'd go apistos. But with the bigger size of a 300, maybe a huge group of Thorichthys would be more your speed.

For some reason I have never really cared for the thorichthys. lol strike 2 lol

Madness

Staff member
Because the ph will be low for the Loricariidae's I was thinking of some more rare SA species

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Yep a good old fashioned SA random run of the mill lfs trade in Oscar would definitely work! Haha

Serious note: with that big of a tank, it would be awesome to get one of those huge plecos with the blue eyes ( as seen on the Neil Patrick Harris episode of tanked).....but I hear they are like $1k

Madness

Staff member
lloyd378 said:
Yep a good old fashioned SA random run of the mill lfs trade in Oscar would definitely work! Haha

Serious note: with that big of a tank, it would be awesome to get one of those huge plecos with the blue eyes ( as seen on the Neil Patrick Harris episode of tanked).....but I hear they are like $1k

Rapps had one for $750. Ill get me a couple of the less rare ones first. :) Like the L024 L025 L600

Madness

Staff member
Exactly, I see that he has less wood and less hiding places than I do which is probably why we are able to see his Plecos.Yea that's what I'm doing

ArtPleco

I m curious as to what the aggression is like since there really isn't much place to hide. As a lot of the ones he has are known aggressors. But everything in there is mid hundreds to almost a thousand a pleco. His tank is rather huge but still a lot thrown in with them being that size. Instead a bunch mix it seems like the ones he has are all near the area they are from. Rather than some which would never see each other in the wild. But the blue stones are a nice touch and the huge tree root

ArtPleco

Not sure how far into it you went but this is the list

Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
This is a 8x3x3 feet tank Bro.
These are the inhabitants:

6 L24 Pseudacanthicus Serratus “Flame Pleco”
2 L24 Pseudacanthicus Serratus “Flame Pleco” Tucurui
3 L25 Pseudacanthicus Sp “Sao Felix”
3 L27c Panaque Sp “Goldline Thunder”
1 L64 Pseudacanthicus Sp
1 L96 Pseudacanthicus Sp
1 L96/97 Pseudacanthicus Sp “Hybrid”
1 L97 Pseudacanthicus Sp “White Spot Catus Pleco”
1 L114 Pseudacanthicus Leopardus “Leopard Cactus Pleco”
1 L160 Pseudacanthicus Cf Spinosus
1 L164 SB Glyptoperichthys Cf Gibbicebs “Xingu Gibbiceps”
1 L185 Pseudacanthicus Sp “Gao Shen Hu Wen”
2 L282 Pseudacanthicus Sp “ King Galaxy Cactus Pleco”
3 L600 Pseudacanthicus Leopardus “Leopard Cactus Pleco”
1 L600 SB Pseudacanthicus Leopardus “Leopard Cactus Pleco”
1 LDA63 Panaque Sp “Xingu Platinum” 15in
2 LDA63 Panaque Sp “Xingu Platinum Thick Line”
7 LDA105 Pseudacanthicus Sp “Fire Spot Cactus Pleco aka Typhoon”
1 Hypostomus Luteus Phase III
1 Panaque Cochliodon BEC “ Blue Eyed Cochliodon”
1 Parancistrus Aurantiacus Xanto “Chubby Rubber Pleco” White Variant

1 Lepisosteus Oculatus Sp “Platinum Spotted Gar”
1 Polypterus Endlicheri Endlicheri “Albino Short Body Endy”

7 Barilius Bakeri “Hillstream Trout”
1 Epalzeorhyncus Bicolor (Red Tail Shark)
5 Esomus Metallicus “Striped Flying Barb”
1 Garra Annandalei Sp
2 Gastronomyzon Borneensis “Spotted Stingray Pleco”
1 Gyrinocheilus Aymonieri Var Short Body “Yellow Chinese Algae Eater”
5 Hemiodopsis Gracilis “Slender Hemiodus”
5 Hyphessobrycon Columbianus “Columbian Tetra”
5 Inlecypris Auropurpureus “Blue Crystal Danio”
5 Kryptopterus Bicirrhis “Glass Catfish”
1 Macrognathus Siamensis “Peacock Spiny Eel”
20 Otocinclus Vittatus “Oto”
9 Parambassis Pulcinella “Hump Head Glass Fish”
5 Puntius Lateristriga “T-Barb”
5 Puntius Lineatus “Lined Barb”
5 Rasbora Sumatrana “Side Stripe Rasbora”
5 Rhodeus Sericeus “Amur Bitterling”
1 Synodontis Angelicus
15 Yasuhikotakia Modesta “Blue Botia”

Why they use bro a lot I am not sure but they always saying bro, bro.

Madness

Staff member
Damn that is a lot of fish. I would never mix half of them, (plecos? yes,) but some of the others, nah. Im not sure about the blue rocks, curious as to why blue rocks? Everything I have ever read says to use a fine sand/gravel substrate. I agree there is easily $10,000 in fish alone in that tank

ArtPleco

He said the reasoning behind the fish was to balance it out. To get rid of dead spots that small fish can get to. I know sand and stones is a great one with plecos. Some like soil and stone and so on. I really want to get back to South America and take pics and video of these fish in their habitat so we know exactly how they are and where they spend most the time.

Problem is we, unless having a gigant tank with lots of width won't be able to simulate it perfect. A lot of panaque like fast river flows but also low current. So you need to have both. In my 55 I have high flow on one end that stops mid way and there is a drop off into a valley so it has less current. No fishin this yet but trying to give choice and record what I can. Also no one records what the temps are at night fall vs day all year round. Like koi are four season fish. Are plecos? People just say keep them in this range... Right now I turn heater on mid day at 80. And then at night put it to 72. So far no problems with it and they seem way more
Active when feeding

dwarfpike

Madness said:
dwarfpike said:

For some reason I have never really cared for the thorichthys. lol strike 2 lol

Fine fine, I'll go back to my original suggestion then! 8)