How to treat Fungus?

joseZ.

i got a new angel a couple of days ago and now it has this small cotton looking thing of its fin im thinking its fungus im not sure i havent had to deal with any Diseases sinse im kinda new to the hobby ill try and get a pic and uploaded tomorrow i wont start treating it until im sure its fungus. also can i treat the whole tank since i dont have another tank to put him in i got the meds for it i just dont want to treat it if its not fungus. to treat it do i have to do like a daily water change or anything special?

Spyral

Ugh, your best bet here is to take the fish out of the tank, cut the fungus off the fin and hope it heals up without it. Madness and I went through this with some pretty expensive fish and it sucks.

Where did you get the fish?

joseZ.

Spyral said:
Ugh, your best bet here is to take the fish out of the tank, cut the fungus off the fin and hope it heals up without it. Madness and I went through this with some pretty expensive fish and it sucks.

Where did you get the fish?
i got the fish from a seller on craigslist it wasn't too expensive i got 3 fish from that guy i got a keyhole cichlid a ram and the angel they were all ok except for the keyhole he was hiding allot but he is coming out more often. what do you mean cut the fungus off the fin?

Madness

Staff member
Does it look like fuzz or a cotton type thing or does it look like a ball of white growth, like cauliflower looking?

How often do you do water changes? What size is the tank? what type of filtration do you have on it? What is the temp of the water? What is the ph?

The thing that Spyral is referring to is called lymphosystus. This has no cure.

So you need to determine exactly what it is. Post a good picture if possible.

joseZ.

madness said:
Does it look like fuzz or a cotton type thing or does it look like a ball of white growth, like cauliflower looking?

How often do you do water changes? What size is the tank? what type of filtration do you have on it? What is the temp of the water? What is the ph?

i do 25% water changes weekly its a 37gl tank i think the tank is 30x12x24 its a marineland 3 hood and filter combo the temp is about 78 F i dont know the ph i have a tester thing but im not good at judging the colors. i was trying to get a good picture but i cant that fuzz thing is to small to see on the camera and when i try to zoom in its all blurry

Kaosu

madness said:

not to derail this but..i have a blue ram in QT at the moment that has a small cauliflower like bulb coming off two of its fins..i pulled the fish out and pulled off the largest of one of them...do you know what it is?! can i treat it?

Madness

Staff member
called lymphocystus. This has no cure.

Does it look like this?
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Angelman

I would take the Angel out of the tank (if you have one or go to Petco and get a 10 gallon tank for 10 bucks) and some primafix and melefix and treat it with that. should be gone in a couple days to a week. If not get a 1 gallon container and add 2 TBS of sea salt and put the fish in there for 15 min. Then put it back in the 10 gallon tanks. I have found that this will cure the problem. Up to you.

Sorry but i don't think that cutting it off will help.

Madness

Staff member
Angelman said:
I would take the Angel out of the tank (if you have one or go to Petco and get a 10 gallon tank for 10 bucks) and some primafix and melefix and treat it with that. should be gone in a couple days to a week. If not get a 1 gallon container and add 2 TBS of sea salt and put the fish in there for 15 min. Then put it back in the 10 gallon tanks. I have found that this will cure the problem. Up to you.

Sorry but i don't think that cutting it off will help.
Pima and Melafix will not cure Lympho, and barely works on anything. Have you used this method to get rid of Lympho, or just a mild case of fungus? Cause Lympho and fungus are clearly 2 different issues.

Kaosu

madness said:
called lymphocystus. This has no cure.

Does it look like this?
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]
oh wow nope..it was a small fleshy bulb...that has sens disappeared after being mostly removed by hand

Madness

Staff member
OK, but if it was a fungus and you were able to wipe off, I would still be cautious as to why it was there, and treat for the fungus anyway and not just assume its gone. JMO :)

Madness

Staff member
I have heard no. But I have had it and it spread to over half of the fish in the tank.

Madness

Staff member
The only problem is, if you treat for fungus and it is lympho, than your stressing the fish out for know reason. But they are your fish. Good luck.