How to raise KH?

sandnuka

So I am tryin to find out if anyone has any thing they do to raise KH without raising GH? Or is this even possible?? Ive recently heard two different things on the topic and want everyone elses opinion on it.

larry.beck

To raise the KH without raising the GH, add sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3), commonly known as baking soda. 1/2 teaspoon per 100 Liters raises the KH by about 1 dH. Sodium bicarbonate drives the pH towards an equilibrium value of 8.2.

sandnuka

cant do that.... I need PH low in that tank as well..... its my discus planted tank... kh is super low... I need to keep the water soft, and acidic... but raise KH? any way possible?

larry.beck

Well you didn't say that! :p LOL

Umm... nope, I don't know how to do that. All of my tanks crave the high pH anyways so I'm always looking to raise it rather than lower it. Sorry.

Addictedtofish

If worried about it for breeding then you might need to look into a ro unit, JLO has one for sale for $50, other than for breeding you dont need soft acidic water for juvenile and older discus.

flo77

Raise kH with baking soda. Lower pH by adding CO2. It is recommended to use a PH regulator(Milwaukee SMS 122 is an example or Pinpoint). For more info you can google for the CO2 vs PH and KH chart.

alexmuw

I hope your not going to add BOTH Sodium Bicarb and CO2, as they would cancel each others effects. (I use coral, calcium-carb, still buffers around 8.2)

NaCO3 + H20 --> Co2 + OH- (Thus raise pH), CO2 + h20 + Na+ (present in water) --> NaCo3 + H+ (acidic proton; lower pH).

GH is water hardiness? I think measure of Mg and Ca?

What do you want your pH to be? Need to find a buffer that will be around your pH.

sandnuka

alemuw - THAT IS EXACTLY what i was looking for! Thanks a million man! I need my ph in the mid 6's... and out of tap I run in the mid 7's.... the co2 and plants where helpin to keep the ph down, but the KH was droppin too much too... now will raising the KH also raise the GH?? cause I also need to keep my water super soft!

alexmuw

I think GH is a measure of HARD cations like: Mg2+ and Ca2+. Water softener system works by replacing Mg and Ca with Na+. So, anything that starts with "sodium...." shouldn;t raise GH.