how much of what ingrediants to create Co2

sandnuka

I am lookin for recipes to make C02, I currently use 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp yeast, pinch of bakin soda..... what do you use?

flo77

IMO the best recipe is... pressurized CO2. The sugar,yeast method is cheap to start but messy, out of control time consuming and may turn to be very expansive(tip:make sure you have a high quality check valve and tubing for CO2)

sandnuka

gettin a preassurized co2 for all 20 tanks I will have going in the garage would get expensive..... DIY has worked well for me so far.... I got that little setup with a can, tube and ladder..... just adding my own ingrediants.... no responses yet??? anyone use DIY?

flo77

Do you want to make DIY CO2 for 20 tanks? Your garage will smell like a distillery. If you have so many tanks the cost of regulator and CO2 cylinder will be less/tank. You have here an example for 6 outlets:
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-CO2-Regulator-Solenoid-6-Outlets-6-bubble-counter-/330438867568?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cefb0fa70
and here only for a 6 outlets manifold+needle valves:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Outlet-Hexo-Manifold-/180444016830?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a034d30be
For small tanks or for low light plans I wouldn't put any CO2 eventually I'll use Seachem Excel(you can find online 1/2 gal or 1 gal botlles).
Because you have so many tanks you have touse timers for control, using pH controllers will be very, very expensive.
It's your call what method you want to use, please keep us informed with the progress of your project.

sandnuka

Only the large couple tanks would be CO2 in the garage... the rest are smaller tanks... i was gonna do soil, and then a layer of argonite on top... this creates C02 by itself...

So, this is all besides the reason i created this thread... lol..... i am lookin for people that use DIY co2 for there tanks, (like I do), and what amount of ingrediants they use to make it work?

flo, you want to start a DIY C02 vs pressurized thread... feel free my friend. you may convince me to switch to it if the cost/growth benefits are huge. :)

flo77

I apologize for hijacking your thread. I used this recipe http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#5. It is important to follow the aseptic method described in that article. after a few loads I switced to an improved recipe with gelatine. unfortunately I can't find now the recipe, but if you are interested I'll try to find it.

sandnuka

there is a gelatine recipe! please find! Would love the info posted on here for people like me that are goin the DIY way!

flo77

Recipe with gelatin

For 1/2 galon botlle:
-5.5 cups water
-1.5 cups sugar
-20 g gelatin(not flavoured)
-1/2 tsp yeast
Put the gelatin in 1/2 cup water and let it stay for 5 minutes. isolve the sugar in 2.5 cups of water and then add the gelatin. Heat and stir the mixture and make sure will not boil. Let the mixture cool down and put it in the refrigerator. When the gelatin is solid add the yeast disolved in 2.5 cups of warm water.
Have fun!