How many keep victorian cichlids

sandnuka

Been seeing allot of them around, and allot more breeders than ever! Just curious how many members here own a victorian, if show what kind... or breed victorians... again, what kinds.

Fern

Hap ruby green - breeding (my big girl just spit 81 fry!)
sp44 - breeding
Xystichromis phytophagus (xmas fulu) - growing out
Paralabidochromis chromogynos "Zue Island" - bad ratio
Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae - breeding
Neochromis rufocaudalis saa nana - growing out
Lipochromis sp. "Matumbi Hunter" - growing out

sandnuka

wow! just gorgeous collection... I know a few more people have them.... where is endgangered cichlids, and shorty, icer711..... I want to know how much different kinds are out there and just how much they are growin around here! I see there gettin cheaper and cheaper as far as price!

Well i have alot. lol
4 male ,9 female xmas fulu 1 f holding
2 m , 7 f chromo zue island 2 f holding
1 m 6 f saa nana
3 m 1 f matunbi hunter growing out
5 m 27 f zebra obliq 9 f holding
3 m 9 f yalla swamp
7 m 23 f kyoga flameback 11 f holding
1 m 3 f xyst chromo flameback two f holding
5 m 17 f ruby green growing out
2 m obl thick skin
3 m 3 f uganda fire
2 m 1 f punda nyrerie python island f holding
3 m 2 f pundi nyr mwanda
7 m 23 f daygloo 21 f holding

so the answer is alot , lol
ill be selling babys in a month , they will be lil 1/2 inchers .
i have some up now that are 1 inchers..

Fern

Endangered, care to post some pics of your Zue's? I have 2 and I cant sex them for the life of me, I think they are both the same sex but I really don't know :scratch:

Adonijah

Just one breeding tank. My girl won't let me get any more tanks until we get into a house or atleast a base floor apt

Pundamilia Ny. "Red" 1 female holding

lol , my fish r hard to capture with pictures . they love to make me so made by hiding that i end up stripping the tank , then they wont spawn for awhile so i try not to mess with em too much .... ill get some pics up as soon as possible .. fish r easy to sex . stocking with 3 tablespoons of phos ban in it , put in front of powerhead ... u will notice everyfish will go into spawning colors ... dont keep in for long periods of time cause fish get sucked up and will eventually die ... 24-28 hrs max ..,you will notice within 5 hrs ... ancient chinese secret ...lol

Adonijah

Phos ban? What is that. Does anyone else use this trick?

Also. With that volume of breeding. Do you make money on it?

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I'm here now! lol The cichlids are my boyfriends fish. I just help out with them. lol but he has two breeds of Victoria's

4 Christmas Fulu's
2 Ruti Islands

so far he's in the works to get more female fulu's to have a colony and possibly breed if they choose to do so. But from the sounds of it they are a fry farm colony lol

Fern

I can try to get pics of my 2 and you can tell me what you think? They are in my 3 lake 120g tall so its fun to get pics of them......

me

I keep

Xystichromis phytophagus (xmas fulu)
Lithochromis Xanthopteryx
Lipochromis Matumbi Hunters
Pundamilia pundamilia Senga point
Neochromis rufocaudilis Saa nane Island
Mbipia mbipia lutea Makobe

sandnuka

me- you have a very very rare collection!! woah! how is breeding going? you need to get thoughs guys out to the public quick!

me

I've had success with the Lipochromis Matumbi Hunters, Neochromis rufocaudilis Saa Nane, the Mbipia mbipia Lutea (holding now)..... and of course the xmas fulu ;) The Lutea were a nice mistake as they came in with the Rufocaudilis by accident from Europe. Beautiful fish.

Fern has fry from the Rufocaudilis and Matumbi Hunters. With such rare fish I have to be very selective about who gets them for the time being. Gotta make sure they are stable in the US before they go to just anyone. The good thing is those who are getting them are very committed to spreading them far and wide as am I, so although it may still be some time before I can sell these openly, we are working on making them well established so that in time they should be fairly easy to get even if one of us has a major loss.

me

Yeah, Marco Wells was one of the contributors from Germany, and he has said the Lutea are his all time favorite Victorian. I can definitely see why, even at 2" the males are gorgeous. I will keep all or some of the current spawn of Lutea depending on how many I get, because I only have 3 females and 2 males. It's the same ratio with the Rufocaudilis, however there is one other with better numbers from the shipment, so I felt comfortable letting some go to Fern so we have 3 capable breeders now to keep these going strong. Next spawn from the Rufo's will go back into my group though. Depending on several factors I may be in the US for another few months yet, so I will do what I can to get all of these species well established. I've had to turn down significant amounts of cash for several of the species because I feel that strongly about getting these into capable hands first and foremost.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Well that makes complete sense. You don't want just anyone having such a rare fish. They are amazing. I bet if Joe saw them he'd wanna switch over to a colony of those instead of his fulu's lol. He loves the fulu's one male has colored up quite well. I'll try and get pictures and PM it to you. :)