How many angels in a 75 gallon tank??

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
How many angels in a 75 gallon tank??

For all those angelfish keepers I have a questions. I'm trying to downsize the amount of tanks I have. I have a 75 gallon tank that is well established and I currently have 5 angels in there. Some chasing but no fin nipping. I was looking to take a few others from tanks and add to the 75 gallon as well. I was wondering how many angels is suggested together in a tank that size. There are dithers in the tank however they don't bother them too terribly much unless one of the females is laying eggs. No eggs are currently being kept from them as I have a pleco and catfish in the tank that usually take care of them within 12 hours. Anyone have any advice on how many I could keep in there total?

A

Anonymous

Re: How many angels in a 75 gallon tank??

Angel fish is that type of fish you really don't know what they may do as aggression is concerned. I would have to say 5 is already enough, and your lucky they are not ripping themselves apart. You could try introducing one or two more & watch how they do together.

I had 4 in a 140 gallon tank, eventually ended up with one. Got the courage a couple months ago to try another & they have been doing okay together. However, they have been picking on each other lately but they have lots of room and hiding places.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member

Mine as well have lots of tall and short plants and logs, rocks and decor to dive and dodge around in.

Angelman

The general rule of thumb with adult angels is 1 per 10 gallons

Newly free swimming fry 40 fry per gallon
Two week old fry -  20 fry per gallon
Month old fry -  10 fry per gallon
Pea size bodies -  3 fish per gallon
Dime size bodies -  2 fish per gallon
Nickel size bodies -  1 fish per gallon
Quarter size bodies -  1 fish per 2 gallons
Silver Dollar size bodies  -  1 fish per 3 gallons
Future Breeders -  1 fish per 5 gallons
Full Grown Adults -  1 fish per 10 gallons
One breeding pair -  20 gallon high tank

gnats

Thanks for the info Angelman. I'm going to be in trouble down the road when my angels out grow their current tanks... :shock:

star_rider

it is going to be hit/miss trying to determine the stock level and their issues with con specific aggression.

one thought is large tank , lots of cover you can have a lot of angels. the numbers game may help spread aggression.
the caveat for this rule is.. all of it goes out the door if pairs form up. they will then stake out territory and defend it violently.
basically ..keep a watchful eye and be ready to make changes ...like move the pair to a breeding tank. ;)