Honduran Red Points

Kianna

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
K. I think I have one that survived the payara. So if you end up selling some down the road I might be intreasted. Also you said you said you went by belly color to find a female. Did that work
in the end? Do you know other ways to sex them?
I've bred GBR before and for me belly color was always a sure sign of a mature female. I hadn't bred HRP before so it was just my guess and yes it worked. The noticeable thing was the dorsel fin was way longer and came to more of a point. Where the females is shorter and more rounded. If you look at the pics I posted today you'll see a good example... the first pic is the female and the last pic is the male.

The only other way is venting and I'm no good at that....LOL Hope this helps some!

Kianna

HELP!!!

OK the honeymoon is over I think! Looks like the male has beat up the female. Her tail is frayed and her right eye is messed up.

Heres a quick video...check out her eye!

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/kdrc1TtJkAY" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

So what should I do? Remove her and leave him with the babies (not sure I trust him with the babies) or remove him and leave her with the babies? Any suggestions ???

:(

icer711

it look like she got in his way and he bit her on the eye.... and depends on what you want to do with the fry if you wanted to keep them/sell them remove them both...if nature needs to happen is a 50/50 chance either way on which one to remove... i think the dads are better with young in the south/central Americans but not an on expert on them...safest bet though is remove them both

Kianna

icer711 said:
it look like she got in his way and he bit her on the eye.... and depends on what you want to do with the fry if you wanted to keep them/sell them remove them both...if nature needs to happen is a 50/50 chance either way on which one to remove... i think the dads are better with young in the south/central Americans but not an on expert on them...safest bet though is remove them both
Well the male spent the night in a breeder net. I figured I would decide this morning what to do. I'd like to keep the fry but really she's more important to me. I set the tank up for just them and chances are I won't be able to put them together again until after the fry are gone or moved.

Anyway I turned the lights on this morning and I thought she looked better at first glance. Her color was good and her eye looked slightly better. Then I saw her tail.....WOW! It looks like pieces are falling off and the male was in a net (he looks fine by the way). So am I dealing with something else? Fin rot...cloudy eye (although the eye looked like an injury)?

Heres some pics of her from this morning...

This is her good eye:

This is her injuried eye:

...but look at her tail. Last night it was thin and frayed so is it just pieces falling off ....OR....am I dealing with something else??

Any thoughts????

icer711

i would say the eye is from him 98% sure it looks better and should be just fine in a day or two... and guess on the tail is he got some good bites in that killed off the fin .... never dealt with fin rot though so i not 100%what it looks like

Kianna

icer711 said:
i would say the eye is from him 98% sure it looks better and should be just fine in a day or two... and guess on the tail is he got some good bites in that killed off the fin .... never dealt with fin rot though so i not 100%what it looks like

I think you're right about the tail. The dead parts fell off and it looks like its beginning to heal. The eye looks better too but I can see its gonna take a little bit to get her completely healed. I'm doing 50% water changes daily--good for her and good for the fry.

Fry are doing good--growing really fast (17 days old now).

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/t0ZTmKKnsIU[/flash]

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/idlZHYpvwO0" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

sandnuka

The fry are really large enough to not have either parents in there.... So if you pull both parents then they can get back to there spawning to get you more babies anyway.... wont be as much fighting :) Or, pull the fry and leave the parents... your call.

Kianna

sandnuka said:
The fry are really large enough to not have either parents in there.... So if you pull both parents then they can get back to there spawning to get you more babies anyway.... wont be as much fighting :) Or, pull the fry and leave the parents... your call.

Ok question ?-- The male is currently in a tank by himself and the female is still in with the fry (the fry are almost 4 weeks now). If I put the female in the males tank in order to try for another spawn....can I later move her back with the older fry (let say in 2-3 weeks) and let the male raise the new fry. I was thinking I'll have to remove her again before he starts beating up on her but I was wondering if she'll no longer see the older fry as her babies and maybe eat them. Oh and a 3rd tank isn't an option at this point. Any suggestions?

Mikey

Kianna said:
sandnuka said:

Ok question ?-- The male is currently in a tank by himself and the female is still in with the fry (the fry are almost 4 weeks now). If I put the female in the males tank in order to try for another spawn....can I later move her back with the older fry (let say in 2-3 weeks) and let the male raise the new fry. I was thinking I'll have to remove her again before he starts beating up on her but I was wondering if she'll no longer see the older fry as her babies and maybe eat them. Oh and a 3rd tank isn't an option at this point. Any suggestions?
I'd suggest putting the pair together again, and don't place the female back with the older fry. She might not see the bigger fry as hers any more... I think you're going to just have a fry tank and a tank for the pair.

Hopefully you can get a cycle going where you just sell the fry as soon as another batch is ready to be put in the fry tank. That way you'll have no aggression problems and plenty of room for them to grow out.

Kianna

I was afraid you were gonna say that! I can do a tank for the pair and a fry grow out tank.....the problem is in thinking ahead....if or should I say when he beats her up again I won't then have a suitable place for one of them to go in order to separate them.

Kianna

UPDATE !

Hmmmm......now why didn't I think of that! :oops: Thanks guys !!

Ok....got the tank divder ready to go and the female is all healed up. It took about 2 1/2 weeks for her eye and tail to heal completely but shes looking as good as new.
I removed her from the fry tank and added her to the males tank 3 days ago and ....whola...... have eggs this morning. :punk: Looks like almost twice as many eggs this time too! So its been about 4 weeks since the 1st batched hatched and almost 5 weeks since the last spawn. I wonder if they would have spawned earlier if I had left them together. Anyway we'll see how this 2 tank plan works......one tank for the fry and one tank for the pair (with a divider standing by).

Heres a short little video I took today of the 1st batch of fry---at 4 weeks old now.

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/slwVhTetBXk" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

sandnuka

I dont think they wouldve spawned with the fry there.... all the fish that have spawned multiple times for me wait until I pull them from the fry tank or i pull the fry before they go at it again....

Kianna

Couple of pics of the fry from the first batch. They're so cute....can't wait till they start to color up!

well i love it , lol .. oh and its always best to put the male into the females tank in my personal opinion .. id like to get a nice group of thoughs from u . i have lots of trading stock ..lol watchawant

Kianna

endangered cichlids said:
well i love it , lol .. oh and its always best to put the male into the females tank in my personal opinion .. id like to get a nice group of thoughs from u . i have lots of trading stock ..lol watchawant
Yah you're right it would have been better! The female was in with the fry though and I didn't really want to move the fry. The pair seems to be doing great together so far. The 2nd batch of fry are about 1.5 weeks now (I start counting from hatching) and the 1st batch should be ready for new homes after xmas I'm thinking. Just wish they'd start to get some color.......just little would be nice :D

Kianna

UPDATE on Honduran Red Point fry

The first batch of fry are now 11 weeks old and just starting to get blue on their fins. I have redone their tank a bit and I'm now using it as a plant holding/starter tank also. Anyway heres a couple of videos of them taken today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM67z8gC56U

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/uM67z8gC56U[/flash]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itzgjNMS0m4

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/itzgjNMS0m4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

The second batch of fry are now 4 1/2 weeks old and still with mom & dad. No more fighting between mom & dad (at least so far) so I plan to just leave them there for the time being.

Kianna

Ok went to feed the 2nd batch of fry tonight and noticed that the babies were already busy chowing down on something. At first I thought it was algae but when I looked closer I saw that mom & dad had layed another batch of eggs. They didn't appear to be tending them and the babies were munching on them. I ended up removing the eggs....didn't want the babies munching on them and I REALLY didn't want the parents to attack their babies defending the new eggs. Plus I don't have a 3rd tank to dedicate to HRP.

So the spawns are about 4-5 weeks apart with or without fry already present. I think its almost time to find homes for the 1st batch of fry. Then I can move the parents to that tank before they spawn again.....LOL