holding female uganda fire red!!

A

Anonymous

:bounce: .oO that's awesome! Wish I could get something to spawn...

fishyladdy

il probably have a few fry i want to sell as long as she doesnt swallow them. thanks u guys ill keep u all updated!

hyp3rcrav3

I'd also like 3 or so of these fry as they become avaiable if I can afford them. I can take them samll and save you the fish food as well.

cichlid-gal

Congrats! and I like the look of the females of these also...nice face stripe and barring on them with the blue coloring. Great fish.

cichlid-gal

fishyladdy said:
thanks cichlid-gal! i like the females also they arent so drab :)
Phsst...drab implies brown and dull...I know of no female Victorians that are those colors :) Silvers and golds are more like it. But beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

CrazedAce

I've had the best luck moving them to a maternity tank for a week before stripping. Keeps the females from spitting in the main tank, allows her to relax some, and its easier to catch her when she needs to be stripped. Not everyone does it like this, but it seems the least stressful on the fish, and you're almost guaranteed a healthy batch of fry. :D

fishyladdy

ive never had to do that thankfully they always hold full term and ive never had one spit in my tank so im not too worried. i watch my tanks very closely and i know what day they start holding everytime :)

Anthraxx

id suggest that when you do strip her that you limit how long you work her for. for new mothers i never do anything over 30-60 seconds. if i cant get them all by then back in she goes to spit naturally. ive had bad experiences stripping fish that were too young to handle stress and ended up losing em in the process. GL with the stripping, i always have fun with it when i feel like catching em :).

fishyladdy

shes not a new mother i got them from a big breeding group shes held many times before thanks though! ill keep it in mind.