Hi-tech planted 125 build.

mustanglvr1982

Alright! Just got done sending my big aggressive fish to their new homes! Now the deconstruction begins! I'm going to document my hi-tech planted build from start to finish on this thread. I've had 1 super low-tech planted tank in the past, and loved how it looked! As I go, I look forward to advice and critiques from all of you! I'm very much a noob when it comes to planted systems! The attached picture is right after all the big fish left. I'm keeping it running until the API Algae Fix kills off all the diatoms in the tank, then I'll get it torn down and get to work.

One question, should I preserve my biological media in my 2 Rena canisters, or just start over with brand new media? If I'm to preserve it, how should I go about doing that?

I look forward to sharing this journey with all of you!
003a0721571ba15ae37b609af0a3d80a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

L190

I say preserve your bacteria in your filter. just keep the filters running. have you made a decision on substrate and lights? By saying high tech, I assume you are going with pressurized co2.

mustanglvr1982

Yeah, pressurized Co2, and for lighting I'm leaning heavily toward the Beamswork DA FSPEC 72" fixture. Maybe even 2 of them with dimmers... Substrate I'm still researching. In my low-tech 20g I've used Seachem Fluorite with either gravel or sand (or a mix) as a cap. I don't know if I'm gonna run that in this one or a different fertilized substrate... I'll definitely go with a black sand/gravel mix for the cap, though.

mustanglvr1982

I'm also looking at UV sterilizers to hopefully help keep algae at bay. I've got 2 Rena Filstar canister filters, so was thinking 1 for each filter.

mustanglvr1982

I'm doing a lot of work to the setup, refinishing/modifying the stand, building a matching hood and running hard lines for the filters. I'm going to fill a good size container with tank water and run the filters in that while regularly dosing it with some old goldfish flakes I have hanging around to keep the bacteria going. That way I can drain the tank to rework the stand, and give the tank a good once over before refilling and setting it up.

mustanglvr1982

So I setup my 3rd Rena on my 20g planted tank and used 3 of the baskets of media from the 125 for it. I took the other filter with media out to my shop, got a Rubbermaid tub and drilled holes in the lid for intake and output, filled it with tank water, stuck an old heater in it and have the filter running to keep water circulating. I'll add goldfish flakes once or twice a week to keep ammonia levels up for the bacteria. The other filter is running with no media for circulation in the 125 while I'm treating the massive algae bloom in it. Once that's done, the tank is coming down for the renovation. My brother-in-law used to run a marijuana dispensary, and has a 4-foot LED grow light fixture that he said I can have if I want. I don't know any of the details on it yet, once he digs it out of the garage I'll post the details. He was able to grow 7-foot marijuana planted with it, so it's possible the light may actually be too powerful for my tank, but we'll see!

L190

Hopefully it is a full spectrum light. Usually grow lights have only blue and red lights and make everything blurple. Great for growing plants but not so much where you can really enjoy them.

mustanglvr1982

I'm thinking of pairing the grow light with a 72" Beamswork DA FSPEC as well, to get a full spectrum...

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
I'm thinking of pairing the grow light with a 72" Beamswork DA FSPEC as well, to get a full spectrum...

I bought one of these for a 100g tank in my fish room, and I really didn't like all the different colored reflections- red, green, blue, white- bouncing off the top of the acrylic; it was distracting, and made the tank look like a Christmas tree. I moved that light to another tank, one with a full cover that hides the reflections, and replaced it with a Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series LED light, which has a nice overall color that I like much better. Just my opinion...