Hi guys! I'm new, and already have questions relating to my dovii!

chriswf

Well, I'm currently raising 4 dovii, hoping to get a breeding pair.
I've got 2 males I'm sure of, they kind of have the horn thing goin on.

So, they're in a 210 gallon tank (yeah, they're gunna outgrow it eventually, and I plan on getting rid of 2 as well, since I only want a pair).
1, largest, male (Bubba) is very abusive. He chases all the other dovii around. Even the other male. What should I use for shelter for the other dovii? I have a ton of fake plants (since my previous convicts would rip real plants up).

The plants and small clay pots made awesome houses for convicts... But even those these dovii are 3-6", they're not making use of the clay pots. Should I try... 5" pvc piping? or really large clay pots? My drive wood is pretty small as well :/

Madness

Staff member
Maybe put plants on one end about a couple feet from the end to provide a wall of plants. Out of site out of mind. On the small side install a piece of pvc pipe for them to hide in.

As for the 210 being to small, you have plenty of time before you may have to get a larger tank. Dovii are not open water fish, so they dont need lots of area to swim. I currently have my 18" male and his 13" female in a square 125. They will soon be going into a somewhat square 240.

As for yours coexisting, just give caves, (I use pvc) and rocks or plants so that they cant see each other very well.

Where are your Dovii from? (location)

chriswf

I think they're Nicaraguan?
I got them from a local fish store. Dallas North Aquarium. Took them a while, but no one could come up with them.

They're breed raises them in a huge pond in the ground evidently, hah!

sandnuka

a dallas guy in a washington sight! cool... lol... welcome aboard, our group of CA, SA cichlid keepers know there stuff, sure someone can help. GL and welcome.

chriswf

Oh geez. I thought Washington was the name of the owner of the site.

Like "Ey, tell em ole Washin'ton is back on the streets, ya herd meh?"

Someone linked me this forum and told me you guys seem to know your stuff.
How is there's a website completely (don't get me wrong here but) dedicated to Washingtons fish keeping hobby? Just wondering why it's focused around Washington
:p

JK47

chriswf said:
Just wondering why it's focused around Washington
:p
Because WA has some seriously dedicated members and cichlid nuts. Why not combine forces by region? There are lots of us in this area that keep dovii as well. I have a pair I am very proud of. They currently have tons of fry in with them in a 300 gallon on a drip system (70% auto water change per week) and have added lots of quality fry to the area locally.

I am happy to see a Dallas member here, hopefully me being a life long 49ers fan won't be an issue for ya ;)