Hi from Olympia

LeslieG

I'm just getting back to aquariums after 6 years without a tank. When I moved to WA from Louisiana, my aquariums didn't fit into the moving van and the fishes wouldn't have survived the move, so I gave them away. I'm regretting that now. I'd accumulated many supplies over the years, now I'm starting from scratch. Ouch!

Last weekend I got a 29- and 20-gallon aquarium from Craigslist. I'm starting with the 29, and planning to set it up within the next few weeks. It'll be an active pondscape with rocks, wood, and lots of plants, guppies, mollies, tetras, and other community fish to populate all levels of the aquarium, with khuli loaches and kribs slipping into caves. I've really missed having an aquarium -- I can't wait!!

I'm looking for a good source for wood (Malaysian driftwood and some longish branches) and plants -- and fish, of course -- near Olympia. I'd love to come out to the Aquarium Co-Op, but something closer would be a lot better. Any suggestions?

Leslie

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if many stores down that way will carry those kinds of things, hopefully someone will chime in with some info from down that way. Welcome.

LeslieG

Hi Cory,

Thank you for the welcome.

I've been wanting to get an aquarium for several years now. A few weeks ago I made the mistake of watching your video tour of the Co-Op -- that was some serious eye candy. Now I have two aquariums. They're still empty, but I'm working on that. If I lived nearby, I'd be at your store every week. Unfortunately, my car is ancient (15 years, 240K miles) and my husband is chronically ill and needing me nearby, so visits to the Co-Op will be few and far between. I'm considering coming to the Co-Op for some supplies. Can you tell me about your wood?

My aquariums will be set up to look like ponds/rivers, with lots of plants, wood, rocks, and fishes, and caves for my khuli loaches, corydoras, kribs, apistogrammas, etc. to hang out. I already have the rocks. For the wood, I'm thinking either the usual Malaysian driftwood hunks, or a longish branch like this one (just the branch, not the setup) http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5536. What kind of wood do you have? How are the prices? I might have to wait on the wood.

If I make a trip, are certain days of the week better than others, more likely to find fish, plants, and wood?
Thank you,
Leslie

Last edited:

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
That link isn't loading for me for some reason. But we carry Malaysian Driftwood and Manzanita Wood. I'd say prices start from 9.99 and go to 49.99 for some of the XXL malaysian pieces.

As far as best days. I'd say Fri/sat is best. But it depends on what you are looking for. We are a busy shop. So shipments for this week as an example:

Wednesday: Fish Shipment from Cichlid Exchange, Imported high end goldfish shipment, Dry goods shipment.
Thursday: Nothing
Friday: Live Blackworm Shipment and Shrimp Shimpment, and Florida Aquatic Nursery Delivery
Saturday: I pick up another large plant order from Florida
Sunday at Midnight I'll be picking up imported fish and plants.
Mon-Tues Nothing lands as most things are being shipped out then.

Betty

Staff member
Hi Leslie and welcome to the forum. I'm down south as well. My vehicle is old too, but the traffic getting up there is what keeps me from going as much as I would like! There are a few fish stores around here, but I don't know how many of them would have the wood you are looking for. My tanks are all established, so I haven't been in any of them in awhile.

There's an occasional aquarium swap meet that is set up by one of the members here and has been held in Federal Way in the past. I remember seeing some nice pieces of wood at one of those swaps. I'm not sure when the next one will be though?

I had a map of some of the fish stores -- I'm not sure how accurate this is now because stores close or move and new ones open, but you can take a look and call them to see if they are still open for business and have what you are looking for. (Hope this link still works.) https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=z3PzIVeK-ags.kdHxoc-nvtQw

jettej

Welcome to the group Leslie. You have to drive north and just make a good visit to Cory's Co-op. Its worth driving to. There are few good places here in king county as well. :whistle Goodluck.

Jeth

LeslieG

Thank you, Betty. I'll check out the map and watch for the swap meet.

Hi Jeth! I'll probably get to the Co-op in a few weeks. Thanks for the suggestions.

Leslie

Madness

Staff member
The south end is very scarce of good shops. Maybe think of heading south to the wet spot in Portland, they will have everything you want.

And welcome :)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Leslie and welcome to the forum. I'm down south as well. My vehicle is old too, but the traffic getting up there is what keeps me from going as much as I would like! There are a few fish stores around here, but I don't know how many of them would have the wood you are looking for. My tanks are all established, so I haven't been in any of them in awhile.

There's an occasional aquarium swap meet that is set up by one of the members here and has been held in Federal Way in the past. I remember seeing some nice pieces of wood at one of those swaps. I'm not sure when the next one will be though?

I had a map of some of the fish stores -- I'm not sure how accurate this is now because stores close or move and new ones open, but you can take a look and call them to see if they are still open for business and have what you are looking for. (Hope this link still works.) https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=z3PzIVeK-ags.kdHxoc-nvtQw
Just wanted to chime in that we have a new map of LFS. I'm sure there are still a couple missing, just let me know to add them.

http://www.wafishbox.com/forums/pages/LFSMAP/

pbmax

Welcome Leslie!

Let me know if you'd like some free kribs. I have a tank of healthy p. pulcher juveniles that will eventually be donated somewhere.

Welcome to fishbox, Leslie! Would love to see some photos of your tanks as they continue to develop over time! Keep a photo journal and update it from time to time so we can see the progress! :D

Livebearer

Welcome to the board!
A "Place for Pets" in Burien, Wa. has a good selection of Maylay, spider woods and lots of rocks to boot. It's worth the drive to this little shop and there's a great brewery just down the block to eat and see the big beer bats in action! This shop has a good selection of fish/shrimp there with good prices too. Come out this way and make a day of it.
B.T.W. The swaps are now held at Eagle faternal lodge in Auburn, Wa.

LeslieG

Welcome to the board!
A "Place for Pets" in Burien, Wa. has a good selection of Maylay, spider woods and lots of rocks to boot. It's worth the drive to this little shop and there's a great brewery just down the block to eat and see the big beer bats in action! This shop has a good selection of fish/shrimp there with good prices too. Come out this way and make a day of it.
B.T.W. The swaps are now held at Eagle faternal lodge in Auburn, Wa.
Thanks for the suggestion! That's closer to me, so I can definitely try to get there. Auburn is also more convenient. :)