Hey, Nuka This one's For you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingstature

Alright peeps,
I have this frontosa and Im getting opposing opinions on to what type he or she is. So I thought I would bring it to the experts (Looking and the Sandnuka). I apologize for pic being hazey wet hand and camera phone dont mix... Check out the wide bars and I can only count 5 white bars and he is about 4-5 inches big...
Let me hear those thoughts and opinions... I got him about two months ago in a bag of random fish, and he was only 1" big so he is growing fast....
Photo0051.jpg
:king:

whatthebloody

Sorry i know u probably checked this to see the answer i put, but i dont have one. I just wanted to say that it is an awesome looking fish. I love dark fish

Kingstature

whatthebloody said:
Sorry i know u probably checked this to see the answer i put, but i dont have one. I just wanted to say that it is an awesome looking fish. I love dark fish
Yes so does my Ol lady as I was attempting to take this pic today for somebody who wanted to trade me a ten gallon and a bunch of equipment for him/her and my other and this front, However she jumped my case for offing her collection of fish to better my aquarium treasures ...

He is a little bigger and lighter in color..
IMG_0017.jpg
:king:

sandnuka

FUZZY!!!

Alrighty... I know my fronts well, but... that pic is so hard to tell the features I need to see in order to identify it for you dude.....heres the thing, there are 5 different areas of the lake tanganyika where Frontosa are found, each area have there own variant, and several subvariants under that.... we have the ZAIRE, ZAMBIA, TANZANIA, KIGOMA, and BURUNDI.

I can tell a little from your picture, and its NOT -

Kigoma - Kigoma have 7 black stripes (we count the black not the blue/white)
Burundi - They are typically light, like your other one, a large nochual hump (kok), and the stripe on the eye is thin. These guys are the ones you find in pet shops allot.... most common.

I am Guessing its NOT -
Zambia - You rarely here about them, I dont know why? but I dont know anyone who has any.
Tanzania - They arent that dark in blue, but there black is really dark.

Proccess of Elimination leaves -
Zaire - this group is my favorite, they have the most gorgeous deep blues!! they stay smaller in size, and there eye stripe is more of a mask starting broad on the top and thinning like a V shape....

Now we need to find the subvarient.... thats tough, and you have to go to frontosa.com to get a accurate answer, but my educated guess with the fuzzy picture would be, FRONTOSA MOBA, or FRONTOSA KAPAMPA.... Gorgeous Fish though, really really gorgeous, and they are usually F1 (First generation, meaning parents were Wild caught!) so there expensive!!!!

sandnuka

no offense

Kingstature, I know that you probably already knew allot of that stuff..... Just helping people who have no idea about frontosas.... giving everyone a little 101. Didnt want you to think that lecture was directed at you. and dont let that lady mix your frontosa's for breeding! it looks like your moba/kapampa is a female, your burundi is a male.... you dont want to mix up the species.... oh wait, you do hybriding all the time... lol

Kingstature

LOL, No I asked you cause I dont know my Fronts, And your only one I know that knows anything about them.. I will not cross breed these as they are not hybrids to begin with so I will not mess that strain especially if you think its an F1, are you interested in owning this little girl/guy? My burundi I will keep as him and I are buddies and he eats from my hand and says good morning everytime I walk into his room and turn on his lights....Thanks for info Nuka you the Man I appreciate it..... :king:

sandnuka

yes, i am interested in your moba... seriously, there my fav... and I just got that slightly larger tank, so i can squeeze a couple frontosa moba/kaps in there.... so PM me... price/still got that electric blue jacks...

sandnuka

Reason I believe it may be a F1

Your all probably wondering why I think this Zaire variant is a F1 (first generation, wild caught parents).... well a typical fish customer wants a frontosa, they ask for a frontosa and get a burundi, not knowing there is subvariants.... When someone who researches the fronts, and find all the different subvariants and wants a perticular one they have to go to a breeder or a speciality shop..... These usually only deal with Wild Caught fish, and breed F1 fry, so the customer gets the closest thing to a natural whatever variant front they desire.

So, when gettin anything other than a frontosa burundi, your probably gettina a F1, or F2 fish....

Status
Not open for further replies.