Heres what I'm thinking..

ziggyzoo

After selling all my loaches, knife fish, ripsaw catfish, tire track eel, ect. I am now left with 4 angelfish, a shrimp, and a needle nose gar. I'm still selling the shrimp because it poops sooooo much! But I was thinking very hard about just keeping my angelfish and the gar and just downsizing to a 30 gallon or something. My boyfriend and i were talking last night, about how every time i get a tank i have to upgrade.. Well We figured out that the reason we always get bigger and bigger tanks is because of him! He doesn't really care for small fish. I personally have kept a lot of the big fish, and I find them to be more expensive to feed. He DOES love the needle nose gar though and I love the angelfish, so we were thinking of just downsizing to a 30 gallon or something for now with just the gar and angels. I THINK that could work for both of us, because since we sold the expensive big fish we are FOR SURE selling the big tank and stand and light heater ect. So that will keep him from spending any more money on bigger tanks/fish. As for me :roll: lol I will be able to control my fish buying because 1) much smaller tank already filled with angels and gar. 2) the gar will eat small fish, and kill anything fancy guppie size or smaller, (he actually bit my tire track eels face once thinking it was food). Sooo that just leaves one problem, the bottom. haha I would want a pleco or yoyo loaches or something haha But anyways..... ya I have all the decorations I need and sand, and ill use the 175 gallon can filter. I just need to sell or trade my light, heater, tank, and stand. HMMMMM (wheels turning)

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I commented on the other post :) each angel will need 10 gallons when full grown. The gar needs atleast 70 gallons full grown.

ziggyzoo

ok cool, i saw the other post :) Ya the gar would go into a bigger tank someday, as my boyfriend still plans to build pond size tanks in our house when we buy one hopefully in the next year or two. well all the fish would lol. The angels i think grow way faster. I have had the gar for months and months and hes only grown a little bit. I can hardly tell.

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
Yeah the angels will grow pretty fast. I wouldn't house them together thought. The gar will start nipping the fins of the angels.

ziggyzoo

SAD! Really? Oh well, boyfriend loses lol gar is cute though, he begs for food just like the angels. I don't think it's really a gar though, right? I know it still acts like a gar! haha

ziggyzoo

Wow!! Thanks clownie! I havent been able to find a pic, cause i wasnt sure exactly what to search for. I cant wait to show it to my boyfriend, and ya i think i should go on ahead and sell it lol i wonder how long it takes to get to that point. Gars the only fish of mine i hadnt been able to research much cause i wasnt totally sure what to call it

ShortyKiloGyrl

Staff member
I went and looked. I'm pretty sure it's a needlenose gar. Search for Xenentodon cancila which is it's scientific name and you'll get correct results

dmopar74

Just google needle nose gar, plenty of info. Most dont even get up to 1'. The pic above is of a long nose gar, a true gar.

ziggyzoo

heres mine..

Attachments

• 00X0X_bsvzEoONBzF_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_bsvzEoONBzF_600x450.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 00s0s_1zjUnaigUrI_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_1zjUnaigUrI_600x450.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 55

ziggyzoo

when you type that in, you get much more specific photos. Heres the biggest one i could find so far..

Attachments

• Needlenose8.jpg
    Needlenose8.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 46