Help identifying these.

fishtrades123

Hi.
I got these guys - 8 of them, I think from a friend, who only said they were Lake Malawi Cichlids - Would like to know if anyone here can identify the species, etc.

CLICK - fishpics

WP_20130930_017_zpsa4eda7c9.jpg
" />

WP_20130930_014_zpse5541be9.jpg
" />

A

Anonymous

I see a pair of kenyi cichlids. The rest, hard to tell, possible peacocks? Gray dull color of a female or juvenile peacocks.

A

Anonymous

Please take a better picture with closer view and better lighting. Then we might see them better. I hope.

Betty

Staff member
I see what appears to be a male kenyi (M. lombardoi), but I don't see a female. I don't recognize the others as any species I'm familiar with.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
They could be a little mix of this and that, but the one that peaks my interest is the black one with the red/ pink striping in the shape of a claw mark..... Can't tell what it is, except that it's cool

fishtrades123

Does anyone want these (mutts, I guess). Im totally taken up by the "Setting up a dwarf Mubuna tank" thread, and want to start over.
Lesson: Never volunteer to adopt fish, when you buy a tank from a friend.
My tank is rather small too for these guys: 35G, Im thinking, and want to redo it with smaller fish.
Im open to offers.

Anthraxx

some of them appear to be washed out red top hongi, also might see an OB zebra in there as well. that yellow guy is kenyi for sure. as for their origions id say theyre all just mixed africans from petco. so identifying and rehoming might be difficult. as for setting up a dwarf mbuna tank its a great idea. when limited by size like you are id suggest saulosi. females are all yellow and males are a black/blue barred coloration. great starting point to get into africans imo and they are readily available all over the place. GL with the rehoming but if i were you id buy some clove oil and just put them down. lineage is very important with africans as there are just SOOOO many hybrids out there that ppl misrepresent all the time.