Help big cichlid keepers... A change in power

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Came home to my Porkchop hiding in the upper corner of the tank and being real shy. I watched the tank for a while and realized there was an overthrow of power while I was gone. Even though there is a big size difference the regani (male) took over as top fish from Porkchop (female). So far no danger of her being hurt but concerned that she is hiding. Any suggestions? Should I wait it out?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just fed the fish their dinner and everyone ate together with no issue. I guess that is a good sign.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Okay really confused. The regani started doing the shimmy shake next to porkchop trying to mate and they got along pretty well but she was not interested. I spent some time and fed porkchop some algae wafers and then she started chasing him around. Im not sure what these two are up to....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well they need to figure out what they are doing because the tank is very uneasy right now. Porkchop is hiding in an upper corner and comes out to eat and goes back and sulks the regani is not chasing her or keeping her there but she just does not want to deal with him. I think the problem is that Porkchop is a girl and she just seems to back down when a male fish starts up at her. Ive noticed that a couple times over the years with different smaller male fish. If they push back at her, she always will back down. Watching closely to make sure she is not bullied but concerned to see her so 'shy'

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
The regani is so mellow too I can't believe anything would be more mellow or intimidated by him. Crazy!! Time to once again add some dithers... Maybe some tinfoil barbs ?

Or what? I'd hate for you to get rid of the regani that tank with those fish is so cool

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I think porkchop got hurt by a big piece of driftwood in the tank and she was not at her peak. The regani took advantage and tried to gain control. The regani is mellow but cichlids are still cichlids.

I am letting a bit of time go on still and see how it turns out but poor porkchop looks a bit roughed up.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Porkchop is healing up from her little scrapes and torn fins but the regani just pushes too much. Too much time is being spent in the corner by my favorite fish. I am giving one week for porkchop to heal up and see if she gets control back and the tank is calm again. Right now with Rainbow Brite in charge, it is not a peaceful tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Things are weird...

Porkchop is back in charge for the most part. Each morning seems to begin with a little face off between the two and then Porkchop is in charge but the regani does not really submit, lol. Over all the tank is pretty much normal.

It is interesting that Porkchop got hurt while I was away on vacation and the regani decided to take over. Did not help that he was in the spring mating lust and was a total bear to all the tankmates and digging up everything. He seemed to have mellowed that way too!

I think it will be interesting to see what happens when my snook and het get some more size on them and they become more involved in the pecking order.