Hello from Granite Falls

tommi

Hello, I'm Tommi, and I am addicted to fish. =D My life with fish started with a male betta I kept in a 2 gallon critter keeper when I was 7. From there, I started getting interested in all types of fish and read all I could about them, but never had the funds for a tank (parents didn't believe in allowance and relatives never send x-mas money, lol!). At the age of 16, I got a job at a pet store, working in the fishroom. From then on out, I was sold on fish! I currently have a 75 gallon freshwater tank that's sort of... accidently a planted tank? Lol, it's overrun with java fern and java moss growing on the copious amounts of boglog I have in there. It's stocked with 2 7" juvenile reed fish, a 4" Synodontis eupterus, a 2" Synodontis eupterus, 5 congo tetras, 1 SAE, 1 huge otocinclus, 2 bumblebee cats that I never see, 1 gold gourami and 1 "king" betta from petco. (I don't normally get fish from chain stores, but he was just SO COOL!) As for equipment, it's got an emporer 400 filter, a dual T-5 light, a turbo twist 9W UV sterilizer (long story about why I got that...) powered by an aquaclear 70 powerhead, and a 250W stealth heater. I also have a 37 gallon with three "feeder" goldfish that I thought were way too pretty to get eaten. They are going outside into fish tubs for the summer. Last but not least, I have a 10 gallon tank with a lone female betta, and some crypt. wendtii and a nice piece of boglog. I'll be making a trip to the fish store tomorrow to get some white clouds for that tank. =) OH! And just today I got two 16 gallon "muck buckets" from the Co-op Supply, and I'm going to try my luck at breeding stuff outside this summer! I'll start with platies, and after that we'll see! =) I'll also be getting some floating plants and submerged plants for those tubs.
So that's my stuff, I'll post pics as soon as I can, but my camera is currently not speaking to my computer. Hopefully I can heal their relationship soon, haha. ;)
I'm so excited that there's a forum for local fish people! Yay!

sidekicking

Hey dude from Granite Falls
welcome to the fishbox you will soon realize how addicting this site is
cant wait to see some pics of your the tanks....so star the counseling with the camera and the computer

WELCOME!!!

sandnuka

Hey and welcome to WFB! Granite falls isnt too far from me, which pet store you workin at?? We are super glad to have another experinced fish keeper! We got allot of people on here and Ive already picked up a bunch of great ideas from them.... also members advice have also helped me prevent a few disasters!
Because this is a local forum, its great to meet, trade, buy and sell to hobbyist in the area! So enjoy the site, and dont be afraid to ask any question, you will love the responses you get.

tommi

Thanks everyone!! I'm happy to be here! Sandnuka, I worked at Bridges Pets, first at the Lake Stevens store, then moved with them to Snohomish. I don't work there anymore, but I still buy fish there. They still seem to have the healthiest fish in the area. Bridges doesn't have a central filtration system, all of their tanks are filtered by UG and powerheads, and they clean tanks morning and evening, so all the tanks get a gravel vac/water change at least once a week, sometimes more for the goldfish and cichlids. And lately, they've been getting in some unusual stuff, like freshwater gobies (desert, blue and elegent gobies, but not violets, unfortunately), reticulated hillstream loaches, "green rasboras," peacock gudgeons, scarlet badis, some really nice honeycomb or oilskin cats, Norman's lampeye, and some other cool stuff that slips my mind. I'll have to go back soon! I got two elegent gobies, six green rasboras, one hillstream loach, two peacock gudgeons, and two scarlet badis last week. =D
Oh, if anyone needs to talk to someone who really knows their stuff at Bridges, ask for Casey. He's legit! Jeremy is pretty good too. Don't get discouraged if you talk to someone who knows absolutely nothing, they put stockboys in the fishroom after I left. ;) Just ask for Casey or Jeremy.
Am I rambling too much? I just never get to talk fish with anyone these days, cause I now work at a doggy daycare, and none of my friends have fish. =(

sandnuka

I know abbey really well... she was the old boss.... and jamie ahre.... and michael... he dont know fish,but is a funny guy.... Think they all dont work there anymore..... Good peeps though! Anyway, glad to have you on bored! Enjoy the forum!

tommi

Yeah, none of them work there anymore. =( Abby and Jaimie were freakin awesome, and yeah Michael was a funny guy! I miss the old crew.
No pictures yet... I'm getting there. I'll have pics posted on Sunday, as that is my next day off and I can devote it to solving my technical difficulties. =P

tommi

Okay, my pics are on the computer, but I can't figure out how to post them on the forum... I am technologically challanged... which button puts the pics on, the "host an image" or "image?" I tried both and neither seem to work?

sandnuka

First you Host the image... when its hosted you will get three little links.... copy/cut the bottom link... then open up the image icon and paste what you copied earlier in there. :)

Let me know if your still not gettin it... I think someone wrote a really good explanation on a thread somewhere.

baglel10

i love bridges best place ever closet fish store for me to go to i live in clearveiw(put snohomish becouse no one knows where clearveiw is) just maby ill get a job there when im 16 not to long of a drive and i will enjoy seeing all the fishies and enploye discount maby woot woot i got me a plan lol :king:

baglel10

tommi said:
Am I rambling too much? I just never get to talk fish with anyone these days, cause I now work at a doggy daycare, and none of my friends have fish. =(
no you cant ramble to much well you can but we are just meeting you so you are just telling all the details and why its good we want to know this stuff :king: