Hello from Fort Myers, FL

joefish72

Hello everyone,
A new friend of mine told me I should visit this site so here I am. I own an aquarium store and I'm also a big time hobbyist. In my personal collection I prefer wild livebearers but I honestly like almost all fish. I currently keep a nice selection of goodeids and some fancy type swordtails and platies. I enjoy working with some members of the American Livebearer Association as we try to develop new fancy types of livebearers.

As you can imagine there is a whole assortment of native and exotic fish here in Florida. I often visit different parts of the State to sample and collect species and document what I've found. I share a lot my information with the local Fish & Game in an effort to map the spread of exotic species and see if there is any impact on native populations.

I'm always willing to help someone locate a "must have" fish so feel free to message me if you need any help.

Joe

MorganEA

:welcome!: Yay another Livebearer person! My tanks are mostly filled with guppies and platys  :D  Do you have any pictures of your fish?

joefish72

Here is one I developed, the only fish I can claim I did all the work on.
Chainmail Molly (no longer have this line) each scale is outlined in black makes it look like chainmail armor.
th_DSC03071.jpg

Hi-fin blue moon mickey platy
hifinbluemoonmickey3_zps46c5cd6d.jpg

My award winning female brick sword from ALA 2013 she was over 4"
redbrickfemale4inch_zps104e59bf.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi joefish72, do you have a website ?

Welcome to the forum!!

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I'm a huge cichlid fan, but must say that your fish are awesome! Welcome to the box!

And as a personal question to you, have you ever fished for the feral cichlids in the drainage systems down there that I have read about so many times in the past?

Will I am

Welcome to the box!

I am also curious if you've fished for feral cichlids. Have some really nice specimens there.

:cheers: :punk: :beer: :welcome!: :clap: 

Welcome aboard! On college break about a hundred years ago, my roommate and I went to his home in Fort Myers, and spend just about the whole time trudging through the marshes, swamps and canals. Brought back wild sailfin mollies, mosquitofish, and American flagfish to our dorm in Virginia.

What a great trip!

I can imagine you have a great life there with all the water you can explore!

cichlid-gal

joefish72 said:
Chapalichthys pardalis
pardalis01b_zps39b11699.jpg
[/URL]

Love love goodeids...this one is one I haven't seen. Very nice. What is the right nickname...Leopard goodeid or polka-dot splitfin? Both?

And welcome to the forum

Livebearer

Hi Joefish<
Glad to see you made it on here!!! Welcome, and as I said on the phone the other day this IS the place to talk fishy things with fish freaks up here in Washington. Nice pics, great Goodieds. I am the Livebearer queen on here and keep 3 species of goodieds with more to come this spring.
keep the pics comin"
How about a store front shot???

joefish72

fishNAbowl said:
Hi joefish72, do you have a website ?

Welcome to the forum!!
Yes,but not published yet, I am my website designer, shame on me.

MRTom said:
joefish72 said:
Hi-fin blue moon mickey platy
Gorgeous strain. Have you seen them with colored fins?

joefish72 said:
My award winning female brick sword from ALA 2013 she was over 4"
How old was this lady? huge fish!
Yes but the fins are a dull red, not blue

The big swordtail was about three years old and was the result of an experiment where I separated out siblings and kept a few females apart until they were almost 2 years old. those females grew much larger than the sisters from the same brood that were allowed to breed at a young age.

lloyd378 said:
I'm a huge cichlid fan, but must say that your fish are awesome! Welcome to the box!

And as a personal question to you, have you ever fished for the feral cichlids in the drainage systems down there that I have read about so many times in the past?
Thanks, and yes I love to play in the canals and ditches, since I share my results with local authorities it allows me to get into places most people don't go to. There are a lot of fish to be found in this area both cichlids and native species. I have a breeding pair of mayan cichlids I caught on hook and line.

cichlid-gal said:
joefish72 said:
Chapalichthys pardalis
pardalis01b_zps39b11699.jpg
[/URL]

Love love goodeids...this one is one I haven't seen. Very nice. What is the right nickname...Leopard goodeid or polka-dot splitfin? Both?

And welcome to the forum
I use Leopard goodeid but I try not to use common names if I don't have to. Nothing wrong with common names, just prefer to be a little more exact.

Livebearer said:
Hi Joefish<
How about a store front shot???
Holy cow, that means something different where I come from. I'll post something, but it is a very simple little store, no grand facade.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Man, I can't wait to see the Mayans straight from the canal!!!!! If you ever get extra cichlids in the canal, let me know. If love to buy it from you
( shipping+ time $ ) included just to say that I have a wild caught fish not from it's native habitat.....

Glad you joined the box!