Hello from Auburn,Wa. (pics)

keman

Well, East of Auburn (Lake Holm area)

We have four tanks in the living room;

125 gallon for the soon to arrive Rope fish. currently stocked with tiny feeder white clouds and guppies, as well as a family of blind cave fish and one Bala. It will eventually have a family of ropes as the main feature.

55 gallon community tank with frogs, rasborras, neons, kuhli loaches, and a pair of albino bushy nose plecos.

35 gallon half water/half "dry" with a small group of Chinese fire belly newts, a few small fish and a lot of plants.

55 gallon with Katie's Ornate Bichir and a small hybrid Gar (the feeder guppies don't count since they don't last long in there)

Elsewhere in the house is a 20 gallon with an Orange fantasy eel, and a few feeders, and a 20 gallon guppy tank.

Next project is a 55 gallon food grade drum with a 50 gallon sump system to go in the garage as a feeder farm to support feeding the ornate, gar, and the soon to arrive Ropes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Re: Hello from Auburn,Wa.

Welcome to the forum.

keman

Pics you say...

WP_20141021_010.jpg

Blind fish (they move quick)

WP_20141021_006.jpg

End shot 125 gallon

WP_20141020_001.jpg

125 during set up and cycle (note the many tiny feeders to kick start the cycle) As of now, this tank has some plants and re-arranged décor, as well as the Blind fish and Bala. The chem balances are dead on as they should be since the tank was set up using old well established bio and media, including the 100+ pounds of black sand.

WP_20140919_001.jpg

Newt tank, Pre cycle

WP_20140830_001.jpg

55g Community tank
WP_20140830_009.jpg

Community tank.

Sorry no good pics of the Bichir and Gar tank at the moment. Will post more later...

keman

New as of today pics of the 125g...

WP_20141025_001.jpg

Front...
The back is painted black (plasti-dip) on the outside of glass.

WP_20141025_004.jpg

End shot to show bubble wall effect against black background.

keman

Pics today of Newt tank

WP_20141025_006.jpg

WP_20141025_011.jpg

And ghost shrimp in the newt tank
WP_20141025_013.jpg

Can you see all three?

The waterfall feature (filter return)
WP_20141025_014.jpg

The Newts are all hiding up on top of the waterfall, so no way to get a good pic of them. Perhaps later...

keman

Can't see it very well, but the hill of gravel in the Newt tank is actually hollow and full of moving water. I built a structure of egg crate grid covered with mesh so that at it's deepest, there is no more than 2" thickness of gravel anywhere in the tank. The intake for the filter (Fluval 206) is inside that hollow with little restriction to flow. Total actual water volume in this tank is just under 15 gallons.

Here's a shot through my "peep hole" into the void under the gravel. Not a great shot, but it's all I can get...

WP_20141025_020.jpg

A

Anonymous

^ Love seeing others setups and DYI stuff. Thanks for the post.

And, WELCOME!!

keman

Added a pair of Albino Bristle nose Plecos, a pair of Banjo cats, thirty Ghost shrimp, and this guy...

V__9449.jpg

crap pic, I know...

Not 100% on what kinda Pleco, Think it may be a gibbiceps (sail fin). Can't quite get his colors on my phone camera. He's much brighter, with more shades of orange to browns. I really like the patterns and coloring.

The Banjo Cats are very cool looking and VERY mellow. The big one landed in my hand on the way out of the bag and just chilled there till I pulled my hand out of the tank.

WP_20141028_003.jpg

WP_20141028_005.jpg

Bristle nose... (one of the pair)
WP_20141028_007.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

keman said:
Well, You asked for pics, pics you get...
If we would have known we were going to get this kind of response... we should just have asked for money. ;)

Awesome pics!

Anthraxx

see this is the kinda guy we need on the box, someone willing and able to post pics on demand. as im sure you guessed we all live off pics and require additional pics every few days. :p

seriously tho, really like the design of the newt tank. very cool idea and application to say the least. a quick thing i thought of, would it make sense to fill the void with some sort of media? sponges, ceramics, bio balls etc. its a huge surface area just kinda going empty.

keman

Thanks for all these great comments.

The "larger Pleco" is not very big at all. About 2" right now.

The "void" in the newt tank is not real accessable, so I left it empty. All the water in the tank flows through the gravel into that space before going out to the canister. The return flow has a hidden plastic channel that the waterfall flows into so that the water returning to the tank flows across the top to the area of deeper water before mixing.

keman

Kinda sick and twisted, but the banjos have earned the nickname "dead cats". They really don't move about at all when the light is on. They'll stay completely still for hours on end, move a half inch and stay there for several more hours. Hard to tell if they are actually alive till they move. (Schrodinger's catfish?) After dark, they prowl the sand looking for bits of missed food.

They are true sand lovers too. Took me about an hour this AM to find the larger one. the tip of it's tail and it's nose were the only parts not completely buried in the sand. Must have taken some work too, since that one is about 3" long.

keman

Finally a better picture of the Gibby

WP_20141029_013.jpg

And an "almost" clear shot of one of the Blind Cave fish. (they are just never still... )

WP_20141029_012.jpg

Note the lack of eyes. They navigate and find food with sound vibration (echo locate) and smell.

Once I find the memory card for my camera, I might be able to get them with a faster lens than my silly cell phone pics...